UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

More Water Leak Woes :( (Water in Boot)

Old 11-25-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I had a leak in to the boot, and could not find it. Wifi camera in boot, hosing down. Nothing. Decided to try the boot vent fix. Bumper off, lots of silicone around the perimeter of the boot vent. Worked. Recommend you try that first.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Its no where near the boot vent behind the bumper,

i can get some pics of a removed hood later on so you can see what should be going on and where to look to seal it up

looks to me as the rear plastic ( that acts as a channel) that bolts the hood to the back deck has a split or its not flush up against the rear deck and letting water in

A hard top will cure it but they are quite a bit nowadays
Old 11-26-2018, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine leaks in exactly the same place, there is a rubber seal that needs replacing but necessitates the removal of the hood which I will do when I have time. However, my drive is on a slight incline and I find if I park the car downhill, ie with the bonnet lower than the boot, the leaking does not occur, even in the heaviest rain!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela.../#post24402615

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela.../#post24379320
Old 11-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a leak in to the boot, and could not find it. Wifi camera in boot, hosing down. Nothing. Decided to try the boot vent fix. Bumper off, lots of silicone around the perimeter of the boot vent. Worked. Recommend you try that first.
I will definitely seal it at some point as it has never been done but it is definitely not the source of the current leak.

Its no where near the boot vent behind the bumper,
i can get some pics of a removed hood later on so you can see what should be going on and where to look to seal it up
looks to me as the rear plastic ( that acts as a channel) that bolts the hood to the back deck has a split or its not flush up against the rear deck and letting water in
A hard top will cure it but they are quite a bit nowadays
Thanks Mike, that would be handy to see what makes up the assembly of the hood. Just can't get my head round how the water travels around the back of the hood.
here doesn't seem to be any access from inside the boot and it does seem like alot of work to start dismantling.
Ahhhh, I think i have located a hardtop and will be seeing it this weekend. Granted they are quite alot but it would just be tied up money I guess and can sell them for pretty much the same money as you bought them for.
The s2k does look stunning with the hardtop on though.

Mine leaks in exactly the same place, there is a rubber seal that needs replacing but necessitates the removal of the hood which I will do when I have time. However, my drive is on a slight incline and I find if I park the car downhill, ie with the bonnet lower than the boot, the leaking does not occur, even in the heaviest rain!
Thanks Barton, that is really handy in your case. I feel I might have to get the hood replaced at some point, I guess once they replace the hood (i.e going to Monsoon hoods) the leaking fault would very likely be apparent.
if replacing the hood, would it be best to buy new gutters and channels ready for the to replace?

Thanks irishtuner, will have a good read into those links
Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

sorry for the late reply haven't been down the shed all week just been busy and crap pictures but should give you an idea of the roof drain

there is a plastic U formed and the fabric drains to the center of the U then drains around to the sides and down behind the plastic just behind the door jam, the roof is bolted to the rear deck using metal strips to hold it in place the coverd with plastic trim

this is the drain behind the plastics located just behind the door

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike's:
Nottm_S2 (11-30-2018), s2000_f20 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The rain rail can leak after a new roof. For whatever reason when the rail is full, it can leak through the thread holes for the screws. Hence why in some rain it doesn’t get wet but other times it does. Bit of PU on the threads and nut back on should hopefully sort it (however it’s essentially refitting the roof).

The rain rail also needs to be tightly fitted under the recess of the body work to catch the water. One area which most replacement roofs have missed, is the front stud above the drain. The peg usually get broken and not replaced on install as it’s in a real awkward spot.

Drains. Keep em clean up top and below. Make sure the sill opening is clear. It’s not just the top plastic cup that gets blocked it’s the lower section from debris. I don’t have a picture of the location to hand, but I’m sure someone will.

Apologies if covering whats already been said.
The following users liked this post:
Nottm_S2 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Mike and mtunreal, the pics are a big help to understand how the roof is assembled and where the water is going.
It would seem that the water is leaking from the plastic u form somehow. Either way, i think it would need a complete roof overhaul.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

echo that, a couple of really useful posts there from Mikes and Mtunreal!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I had to stuff my phone into a gap to snap this photo, but you can see the water dripping from the grommit.

Edit, found a pic.

I had a leak in the exact same place, was very frustrating to find it. I would check to ensure you don't have the same problem.

On the bootdeck, there are two plastic rectangular panels, one either side. These cover some threaded screws which are fastened into two plastic grommets.

In my case, someone either overtightened or used the incorrect screw, which peirced the grommit and allow water entry into the boot area. Unfortunately it's very difficult to see the water ingress as it's behind multiple panels, but you can get visibility from the inside the cabin with the seats removed. (I will see if I have a photo)

In my case it took years to resolve this one, purely because I always suspected it was the roof. (Which was replaced to attempt to fix it)

Turns out it was a 50p grommit...

Last edited by Stoatmaster; 12-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: More Water Leak Woes :( (Water in Boot)