S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   MP3 Players (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/mp3-players-23178/)

NJHB 08-01-2001 10:47 AM

MP3 Players

Just wondering if anyone has fitted one of these. I think one that replaces the stock head unitwould be good (and wouldn't take up valuable boot space). Also I would like the remote controls to continue working - yes I have read all about Pinkies adaptation but would prefer a UK solution - can anyone help?

Thanks Guys (and Girls) :)

awinskill 08-01-2001 09:05 PM

I'm waiting until the end of the year when Sony release their Memory Stick autochanger head unit. How much music can you get on 8 256Mb sticks? :D

Lost the controls when I fitted my Blaupunkt. Haven't really missed them!

steve_the_greek 08-01-2001 11:14 PM

I'm waiting for an Alpine MP3 unit - they do an adapter that allows the extra controls to still work, but none of their head units play MP3's yet (not that I'm aware of anyway).

Steve

NJHB 08-01-2001 11:55 PM

I am thinking of a unit which plays normal CD's or CD-R's onto which MP3 files have been recorded. I have a Rio Vault for personal use and it is definatly the way forward for music storage as you can get upto 20 hours of music on one CD - who needs a multi-changer? Have a look at the Rio Vault details here :

http://www.riohome.com/

Now all I need is the head unit for the car.

awinskill 08-01-2001 11:57 PM

Originally posted by steve_the_greek
I'm waiting for an Alpine MP3 unit - they do an adapter that allows the extra controls to still work, but none of their head units play MP3's yet (not that I'm aware of anyway).

Steve

Isn't the Apline control adaptor an urban legend? :(

steve_the_greek 08-02-2001 03:15 AM

Originally posted by awinskill

Isn't the Apline control adaptor an urban legend? :(

Apparently not if you look at this thread - Alpine adapter for in-dash commands .

The part number is KCE-865B. Haven't looked into whether it's available here.

NJHB - there are already head units that do this, from Kenwood (MP6090R), and JVC (SH-99). The benefit of waiting for the Alpine one is that there is - supposedly - a manufacturers adapter to connect to the 2nd set of controls. You can of course get Pinky's mod, but that requires you to install an infra-red sender somewhere near the head unit.

My personal opinion is that the big boys will be better at the in-car stuff than the people who make the Rio, which you should note is American so will probably not work with UK radio frequencies, RDS etc.

Steve

NJHB 08-02-2001 03:21 AM

Thanks Steve I agree about the big boys - I was only quoting the Rio Vault 'cos it shows how they work. ;)

Originally posted by steve_the_greek

NJHB - there are already head units that do this, from Kenwood (MP6090R), and JVC (SH-99). The benefit of waiting for the Alpine one is that there is - supposedly - a manufacturers adapter to connect to the 2nd set of controls. You can of course get Pinky's mod, but that requires you to install an infra-red sender somewhere near the head unit.

My personal opinion is that the big boys will be better at the in-car stuff than the people who make the Rio, which you should note is American so will probably not work with UK radio frequencies, RDS etc.

Steve

awinskill 08-02-2001 03:32 AM

OK missed the dash-control thread. So has anyone got this fitted in the UK?

Any reviews of the Alpine MP3?

Christmas present lined up now.... :D

steve_the_greek 08-02-2001 04:40 AM

Just found out that the current MP3 model is CDA-7878R. TheCar Audio Centre will sell it for

ianl 08-02-2001 04:47 AM

After 6 weeks of waiting I finally took delivery of my KCE-865B interface - I was starting to doubt its existence.

Just got to wait until I get back from hol's to fit it and confirm it 'does what it says on the box!'

Ian