UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My brakes failed while driving !

Old 03-07-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brakes failed while driving !

Something really worrying happened this morning.

Whilst driving to work was coming up to some traffic lights that went red suddenly.
Was doing approx 45mph and hit the brakes approx 5 car lengths from the red light Stop line .

Instead of braking as I would expect it felt as if ABS had kicked in (rough feeling under the pedal) from the moment I hit the brake aalthough I kept the pedal depressed the car hardly braked and I had to pull up the handbrake to assist with stopping !! Ended up 2 car lengths over the stop line ......

On way home I waited for a clear stretch on the road and hit 60mph and slammed on the anchors ... It braked exactly as it should have done without any dramas and ABS did what it was supposed too. Did this several times and it was fine .

Very worrying and will take it to a garage .. anyone experienced something similar or know what it could be
Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Had that in my old 205 GTi many years ago - eventually traced to a leak in the master cylinder

Glad you were ok - mad to have carried on driving though!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Hows your brake fluid levels? Maybe some oil/ice on the road?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM

That sounds worring indeed.
Other than a leak on the brakelines/abs lines etc try checking the brake master cylinder as sometimes the piston might seize or corrode inside.
Fingers crossed it will not be expensive if something needs to be fixed
Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the ABS kicked in to me. That's what happens.

I hate to be pedantic, but did the traffic light really turn red any more suddenly than every other time?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

What tyres are you using and what were the road conditions etc?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Really warm spell following lots of rain = slippery road surfaces. I take it no ABS warning lights on the dash?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 PM

In response to some of the posts.....

It was dry and mild
No oil on the road

Would have made it through the lights normally but there was a traffic light camera . In all fairness if I carried on without braking I wouldn't have got flashed but didn't wanna risk it .

Also no ABS light came on . Convinced ABS didn't come on and will get a local garage to check cylinder , lines and brake oil etc

Tyres are new 1200miles on Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002 on all 4 corners
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

sounds like a close call>>
Revised on 2004
http://hondas2000.org/item_details.php?ID=32
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Interestingly, I had this a few times on cars and bikes and usually after some spirited driving OR a potholed road !

If you ever get the feeling that when you brake sometimes its pulls left or right slightly and yet the next time you brake all is even with no bias to the side then its possible that the brake piston has retracted slightly allowing the pad to have more clearance to the disk.

When you depress the brake pedal the slight difference gives you a "longer pedal" and if you pump the pedal once all is restored to normal.

Apparently, with our rougher roads and no maintenance being done by the councils still, this can happen if you drop into a big / series of holes.

I am not sure of the dynamics of why this happens but the race boys can have this problem too and I am sure one of them will be along to give the techy reasons soon

Quick Reply: My brakes failed while driving !