UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My experiences of my first track day...

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer_crx
Glad you had fun.

I imagine it was park straight where you got to 120mph? Did you manage to time any of your laps with a gps?

As for running 17s I'm not so sure it would make you quicker or the day more fun. Sure it will make the car a little more pointy but it also reduces the margin of error significantly so unless you have a lot of experience I'd stick with the 16s and if you feel that the tyres are rolling over perhaps a little more camber/caster may help.
I think front setup was brilliant, I never 'wanted' for front end grip / turn in but yeah rear could have done with a little more camber I think. Looking at the tyres though, they looked like they wore very evenly!

No no timing, didn't want to start chasing numbers.

Yeah I seemed to be really quick through the chicane section and get a really good run off the right hander using a late apex.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 AM

I have my first session in the s2k at brands in a month. Thanks for the pointers. Have just ordered the tyres and brembos
Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Well done mate, sounds like an awesome day. I'm interested in hearing more about the wheels and tyres as I was thinking of buying a set of 16 inch wheels as a set of track wheels. Was the high profile a big problem or just a slight annoyance? The price of the RE002s in 16" sizes seems like a bargain to me, especially if they don't melt like my RE050s did. But after reading your comments I'm not sure whether to stick to 17s and get a set of Federal 595 RSRs for example (£370).
Old 04-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Sounds awesome!! What racepads were you using? I tried the ferodo ds2500 on my ep3 and didn't like them as they faded significantly after just 15minutes
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2K-RS
Well done mate, sounds like an awesome day. I'm interested in hearing more about the wheels and tyres as I was thinking of buying a set of 16 inch wheels as a set of track wheels. Was the high profile a big problem or just a slight annoyance? The price of the RE002s in 16" sizes seems like a bargain to me, especially if they don't melt like my RE050s did. But after reading your comments I'm not sure whether to stick to 17s and get a set of Federal 595 RSRs for example (£370).
I have the exact same dilemma. I was happy with how the 16s felt on track and when I changed to 17s just to try them out the difference was quite significant and not in a positive way that may have been the 17" tyres though.

I am looking at getting the AD08R for using on the track and the difference between the 16s and the 17s in cost makes me want to sway towards the 16s (17s are nearly 50% more). Another positive for the 16s is that you can pick up a set for next to nothing so you can keep two sets of track tyres, one for wet and one for dry, there's nothing worse than getting all prepped for a day at the track to find the rain won't stop and you don't have the tyres for it.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 AM

Much much better on 17s if you ask me. Maybe not faster, but more controllable and more fun, which is kind of the point.

Good write up. Did you say there were four guys who turned up in cars they bought for £250 each? That doesn't sound like something you want to see on a trackday.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:46 AM

I've had a few S2000s now and the best handling/feeling one was definitely the yellow one I had which was on Buddyclub Pro coilovers and running Bridgestones on standard 16" wheels. I think the deeper sidewalls complimented the stiffer suspension really well and I felt I could really feel what the tyres were doing...

The only track day I've ever done was in my Imola one on 17" wheels and it was absolutely hamming it down so I probably didn't get to feel how well these handled!

Sounds like you had an awesome day! I cant wait to get on track this year, I just need to get all my Geo sorted before I do!

Impressed you are trailbraking in the S2000 too! Its not something I have the balls to try on roads.... maybe I'll give it a go on an airfield day sometime!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by adz9
Impressed you are trailbraking in the S2000 too! Its not something I have the balls to try on roads.... maybe I'll give it a go on an airfield day sometime!
I trail brake all the time, on road and track, it's plenty safe enough, provided you are easing off the pedal as you increase steering lock. It's when you increase both that things get tricky.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Great day out!

It's important to spin your S2000 on a track day. That way, you'll remember not to get all lost in a corner on the road & cross it all up!

Actually, I'm thinking of changing my discs (wear) - what are the current recommendations?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Great day out!

It's important to spin your S2000 on a track day. That way, you'll remember not to get all lost in a corner on the road & cross it all up!

Actually, I'm thinking of changing my discs (wear) - what are the current recommendations?
Honda stuff isn't bad value these days. £215 for all four from here: http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2000-...7_434_687.html

That or the usual Brakeparts.co.uk where all four are about £115.

Quick Reply: My experiences of my first track day...