UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My experiences of my first track day...

Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1396883747' post='23100973
Great day out!

It's important to spin your S2000 on a track day. That way, you'll remember not to get all lost in a corner on the road & cross it all up!

Actually, I'm thinking of changing my discs (wear) - what are the current recommendations?
Honda stuff isn't bad value these days. £215 for all four from here: http://www.coxmotorp...27_434_687.html

That or the usual Brakeparts.co.uk where all four are about £115.
See, HONDA don't make brake discs ... so why pay that much for those ?

Regarding the track day, sounds like you had barrels of fun, and I would agree with you changing your 16' to 17', however my mate has been hacking on at me to get down to Cadwell a track I have yet to drive, he will no doubt be on this thread at some stage and he loves his 16' and is no slouch with them either. I really MUST do Cadwell this year!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1396883747' post='23100973
Great day out!

It's important to spin your S2000 on a track day. That way, you'll remember not to get all lost in a corner on the road & cross it all up!

Actually, I'm thinking of changing my discs (wear) - what are the current recommendations?
Honda stuff isn't bad value these days. £215 for all four from here: http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/2000-...7_434_687.html

That or the usual Brakeparts.co.uk where all four are about £115.
What & some harder pads for track days?

I have no fadey problems on the road, but track days (used to be) a PIA.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
See, HONDA don't make brake discs ... so why pay that much for those ?

Regarding the track day, sounds like you had barrels of fun, and I would agree with you changing your 16' to 17', however my mate has been hacking on at me to get down to Cadwell a track I have yet to drive, he will no doubt be on this thread at some stage and he loves his 16' and is no slouch with them either. I really MUST do Cadwell this year!
Er, that's why I gave a cheaper alternative. FWIW The Honda stuff corrodes less than the non OEM in my experience (I've used a few types).

Aaaaanyway, get yourself down to Cadwell, it's superb. Best circuit I've driven in the UK.

Nick, I use the Dixcel pads (currently with non-OEM discs on the front - oh, the horror!), although plenty of other people do pretty well with various other options (Ferodo, EBC, Carbotech, Carbone Lorraine Project Mu etc). RBF600 fluid is good stuff too.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks, Simon.

Dixcels are the new messiah, it would seem.

Are you running plain discs? I cannot remember now.

Bremtech do plain, slotted or slotted & drilled - for the big tarts.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Plain discs, I had some slotted once and they ate the pads very quickly indeed. Not good value for money!

Having said that, they work more than well enough with the cheapo discs I have on at the moment, I can't say I can tell any difference from the super expensive Dixcel discs I had before.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Yeah, as long as they're not some cheapo cast iron that's too brittle, they shouldn't be too bad. The Honda ones do last very well. Considering...
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey81
Track days are great as you realise how much fun the s2k is.

Glad you had a good one and looking of forward to seeing the onboards.
I shall get some up once my mate pulls his finger out

Originally Posted by S2K-RS
Well done mate, sounds like an awesome day. I'm interested in hearing more about the wheels and tyres as I was thinking of buying a set of 16 inch wheels as a set of track wheels. Was the high profile a big problem or just a slight annoyance? The price of the RE002s in 16" sizes seems like a bargain to me, especially if they don't melt like my RE050s did. But after reading your comments I'm not sure whether to stick to 17s and get a set of Federal 595 RSRs for example (£370).
No not a big problem, may well have required a little more adjustment with the pressures, just when I first went out (sighting laps) on the 17's, when changing the 16's I really noticed the difference. Having standard suspension means you can go low with the profile much more to allow the suspension to do the work.
I can't speak about Federals but they were in the running until I saw the comments about the RE002's and then the price!

Originally Posted by ekme
Sounds awesome!! What racepads were you using? I tried the ferodo ds2500 on my ep3 and didn't like them as they faded significantly after just 15minutes
I will dig out the exact specs and tell you

Originally Posted by Dembo
Much much better on 17s if you ask me. Maybe not faster, but more controllable and more fun, which is kind of the point.

Good write up. Did you say there were four guys who turned up in cars they bought for £250 each? That doesn't sound like something you want to see on a trackday.
I suspect far more direct and 'pointy' on 17's. Yeah they were having a right laugh, one MK3 Golf GTI, Bora, a Ford Probe of all things and something else!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun! I loved Cadwell when I went there
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM

These were the pads I used for the people asking

Name:  imagejpg1_zps7cc8fabb.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  54.0 KB
Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
These were the pads I used for the people asking

Awesome

Quick Reply: My experiences of my first track day...