UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My JDM Type V VGS S2000

Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by sanchez' timestamp='1304539633' post='20538671
Yeah you have a point mate, he just may not have a clue and need a quick sale on the car?

There has only been 2 owners from new, one in Japan, and himself who has had it since 2008..

He said he has loads of sports cars..

I think he is selling it through a friends car sales company also

PANTS ON FIRE!..... the 51 plate means it was registered in the UK late 2001, so where has it been for 7 years? I'm worried now.

Or maybe it has had 2 owners in the uk, that would seem more realistic?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Sanchez, just to say welcome to the forum by the way

Don't take what people are saying the wrong way (not that you are/will). Just want to reassure you that folks here know a lot, love their cars and want to see you buy a good one, and not a pup - it's just opinions from afar.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow
Old 05-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Cheers mate, yeah i appreciate that, they are all things to bring up when viewing the car, as i dont want to get it home, and a couple of months late find something horrific with the car.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be overly concerned, I bought a JDM with an unknown history, and it has been fine (touchwood).

The whole '51 plate thing is nonsense too (sorry Rich). It gets given the year that reflects it's date of manufacture, not registration in the UK.

The fact that it was imported means it has less rust than all the UK cars of it's age...and that is a FACT

IIWU, do a thorough service on the car as follows:

Engine Oil/Filter
Diff Oil
G/Box Oil
Coolant
Brake Fluid
Valve Clearances
Filter Inspection/Renewal
Check Tyres
Check Geo Bolts/Alignment
Underseal (inc. rear arches)
Spark Plugs

With all of this, it will be well prepared and you can drive in the knowledge that you have a decent baseline from which to begin this experience. If you aren't able to do this yourself, and are a little short of cash, I would be happy to assist with some of it at my technical day:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/861...technical-day/

HTH
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by loftust
Don't be overly concerned, I bought a JDM with an unknown history, and it has been fine (touchwood).

The whole '51 plate thing is nonsense too (sorry Rich). It gets given the year that reflects it's date of manufacture, not registration in the UK.

The fact that it was imported means it has less rust than all the UK cars of it's age...and that is a FACT

IIWU, do a thorough service on the car as follows:

Engine Oil/Filter
Diff Oil
G/Box Oil
Coolant
Brake Fluid
Valve Clearances
Filter Inspection/Renewal
Check Tyres
Check Geo Bolts/Alignment
Underseal (inc. rear arches)
Spark Plugs

With all of this, it will be well prepared and you can drive in the knowledge that you have a decent baseline from which to begin this experience. If you aren't able to do this yourself, and are a little short of cash, I would be happy to assist with some of it at my technical day:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/861...technical-day/

HTH
Thanks for that mate, you have set my mind at rest with the whole age/registration of the car now

Yeah will make sure the car has been properly undersealed too, as Jap imports are more liable to rust than uk cars are they not?
But by the looks of it its ony been in the country 3 years, so all should be good.

Yep wil give it a good old service, a mate work at a motor factors so can get most of that stuff for a good price.

I heard about the geo bolt and alignment, what does that consist of?

That technical day looks a good idea, very helpful member!

Liam
Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
I don't remember who told me that, but what you say makes much better sence Loftus. I stand well and truly corrected. Sorry Sanchez if that misled you all the same be wary and good luck.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mileage might be "false high", since the car would have been driven as Km's in Japan and it's unusual to do a lot of km's in Japan,

when the car is imported they won't bother to work that out that number in miles and reset everything.. it will just continue as the exact number but then hopefully ticking up as miles with the speedo being adjusted (since JDM's can't flick between MPH and KMH on the dash switch)

there are a few other bits and bobs difference than a UK car which can catch you out on occasion, but nothing too much of an issue..
Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 PM

@Rich, no worries mate

@Kobe, so the milage is still in KMs then?, so if the tacho reads 73000 thats going to be in KMs as i wouldnt of been changed to mph?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Regarding the Geo/bushes etc, it's in the tech FAQ, you'll need to download the PDF version on the first page as the pictures from the gallery are fooked at the moment. there is also a copy of the full service manual on page two or three of the topic you can download.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Nice car

The wheels are to die for - BBS RG-R - rare, forged and lightweight. They are worth a small fortune, more than LM's

I phoned the seller because the ad (on ebay at least) gave the impression the car was a 2008 model that was selling for £6400. People were phoning in the hope of a grabbing a bargain.

Enjoy

Quick Reply: My JDM Type V VGS S2000