UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My old girl needs some love...

Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 AM
DCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My old girl needs some love...

Hello all,

I have a MY00 Berlina. She's in great nik, never let me down (touch wood) but she's looking a touch tired and there are some squeaks that annoy me! She needs new rubber on the back and i've been toying with buying a new set of wheels for a while (her 16's have needed a refurb since i bought her...!), so i think its time!

But.

Whilst i would love to throw money at her, i need to remember that it's a car that doesn't have much residual value these days (not that I think i'm going to sell her in the near future) and very, very sadly, I don't get to take her out for more than a weekend blast every few weeks... the rest of the time she lives on the inconsiderate streets of london. So I'm trying to find the happy compromise between sprucing her up and not throwing money down a pit... I have a pub where I can do that just fine... Thoughts and advice welcome!

My perceived parameters:

- I'm on the original shocks and i'm almost certain the bolts are seized, but given the wear patterns, Tom @ TGM assures me that I don't need to worry about them...

- My budget needs to include Tyres as well as the rims... and all told, this needs to be sub £1k for definite.

My original thought is that the easiest solution would simply be to get the v1 OEM 17's. but given that OEM 17's are rarer than hen's teeth...

1)What's the next best that I should go for in terms of bang for buck (new or second-hand...) - i'm aware how subjective that is, but i'm happy with everyone's personal experience. I'm not a track demon, but I sure love a spirited drive (don't we all though...!)... so... make of that what you will!

2) Can I get away without touching the dreaded bolts (Again, I know many on here say Geo changes a car, but is that a "must have" or a "nice to have")?

Thanks all!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM

I'd spend my money on getting the geo checked and bolts etc replaced before I splashed out on new wheels.

If the wheels are "tired", get them refurbed (between £50 and £100 each depending on the work required and the desired finish
Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I agree with Greeny

I had my geo done after letting it alone for a few years, made a huge difference

None of my adjusters were seized that a bit of heat couldn't sort
Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 AM

if you are planning both I might be wrong here but wouldn't you need the geo done after changing the wheels ? I think with my car its a endless money pit too keep it on the road and in the condition I want it
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only use it on the odd weekend, the cost of new wheels and tyres might not really be worth it. If, like me you think the 16's look a bit small for the car, how about powder coating them a darker colour so the size of the wheel isn't so obvious. (dark grey or black) (I paid £50 a wheel) Then replace the rears and the rest put towards the geo.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If you want to spruce them up, give them a good sanding to key them - fill in the stone marks with some liquid metal filler and then sand and spray silver / white / black / whatever. Long as you mask the tyres off it should last long enough for you to decide whether or not you want to splash out on new ones.