UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

my99 s2k track day engine failure

Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my99 s2k track day engine failure

Hey folks was on a race track day yesterday and after around 15 laps of hard driving i had power loss but i put most of this down to intense heat sock as it was a very hot day , eventually after arounfd 15 laps i came into the pit and as i was driving in the car locked up and turned off i pushed it into a safe position and let it cool down for around half hou , i went back and tried starting it and it fired up not very smoothly ! i then called it a day and decided to take a slow trip home 20 miles,after around 10 miles on my journey back i had total power loss engine managment came on and i turned off car instantly, i towed the car back to my mates garage and stripped the rocker cover off to see the damage, it seams that the bolt holding the timing chain pulley has come loose and popped out causing the pulley and cahin to drop! i have order new bolts ect wich come on friday so ill fire the piulley back in the original position check timing and try firing it up and hope for the best but im guessing the valves will prib be bent and maybe even pistons shot ! what would cause this !
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it works, then my god you'd be lucky.

The S has an interference engine so you probably do have bent valves and damaged pistons.

Prepare to fork out for a new engine.

Perhaps one of the pistons went first, causing massive vibrations through the pulley, thus loosening the bolt??? That's just a stab in the dark however.

Dembo's JDM engine had a similar problem to yours, perhaps he'll be able to offer some advice.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nasty. Mine just lost all power and stopped and wouldn't go again, but by then the cam chain had snapped and one of the valves had put a hole in the number 4 piston.

Fingers crossed no damage was done. Had you overrevved it?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 AM

well there was a lot of high reving during the track day but dont think over revving but using full revs! ill find ou on fri so here's hoping but im prepared for the worst is it worth a rebuild ! i.e pistons ect ! as engines are very very expensive , and is there any benefit by fitting a ap2 engine !
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
MIP

I don't think you're likely to get an AP2 engine over here (2.2 litre USDM or JDM).

But if you do have to go down that route, then 04 onward would be good as it'll have the oil jet revision and the piston rings that seem to reduce oil consuption.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 AM

kl thanks is there anyone on here done a rebuild on upgraded pistones valves ect as new engine is mega
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=scott-s2k,Aug 6 2009, 08:24 PM] kl thanks is there anyone on here done a rebuild on upgraded pistones valves ect as new engine is mega
Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott-s2k,Aug 6 2009, 07:15 PM
well there was a lot of high reving during the track day but dont think over revving but using full revs! ill find ou on fri so here's hoping but im prepared for the worst is it worth a rebuild ! i.e pistons ect ! as engines are very very expensive , and is there any benefit by fitting a ap2 engine !
Over-rev as in change into the wrong gear. You won't overrev it any other way.

I did once to mine: I changed into 2nd instead of 4th, but only for about half a second before I got the clutch in. That was 2 years before it blew, so who knows if that was a factor. Maybe it was just a good day to die.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Aug 6 2009, 08:54 PM
I did once to mine: I changed into 2nd instead of 4th, but only for about half a second before I got the clutch in.....
Which probably cracked a retainer which then took a good amount of abuse before it finally let go

I'm sure you dropped a valve before the cam chain snapped.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A bolt coming out sounds a bit odd.

I wonder if someone previously didn't tighten it up, after a TCT install!

Quick Reply: my99 s2k track day engine failure