UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Need your Air Con refreshing in Derbyshire?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your Air Con refreshing in Derbyshire?

If any of you out there are maybe not happy with the efficiency of your air con system due to the car being long in the tooth or you needing to replace an air con component (like the condensor for example), then Allestree Car Air Conditioning near Derby city centre did a cracking job on mine just last weekend.

A while back, I asked my local Honda dealership to check the air con in my car as it wasn't cool enough anymore. They found that the condensor had a leak and recommended I give them circa £700 to replace it (parts and labour included). After I regained consciousness I said I'd think about it and drove away. Through some digging around on s2ki.com I found Rob at Garage R who happened to have a spare and fully functioning 2nd hand condensor off a car he'd broken up so I bought it off him for less than £100. The purchase of 2 new o-rings from Honda (a few quid) and a few hours work on the car myself had me a fully installed "non-leaky" condensor but the system of course still needed filling up again. Honda quoted me £80 so I shopped around and the good old Yellow Pages threw up Allestree Car Air Conditioning who could do it for £40.

Roger and his daughter Victoria (both qualified Car Air Conditioning Engineers) did the job in 25 mins flat which included system vacuum and system fill including some oil to lubricate moving parts as the system had been opened to the elements when I replaced the condensor. I now have a fully operational air con again and by god it's cold. Roger is clearly well educated in the science of car air con and although he'd not seen an S2000 before the job was no problem to him at all.

I was left suitably satisfied that the little companies out there still exist and that I didn't have to go to some big name company to get a potentially substandard and considerably more expensive job done. Word of warning also about Kwik Fit. If you've not got a fully functioning gassed up system already they'll have problems working out how to fix it. Makes sense to seek out the expert who can overcome any issue as they've probably seen them all.

Moral of the story - with a bit of digging around, using the s2ki.com site, and looking for the appropriate expert you can save yourself circa £600 and in this or any climate, that can't be bad advice.

Thanks to s2ki.com, Rob @ Garage R, Honda, Yellow Pages and Allestree Car Air Conditioning

Dave
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

I used a mobile guy a couple of years back on another car who was also very good in the sussex area. If anyone wants his number PM me.