UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New engine mounts required

Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New engine mounts required

Greetings all,

As of yesterday I have my PLM header & decat, Greddy exhaust & K&N CAI fitted (a big thanks to Ron ).
All of which sound fantastic and definitely gives the S more oomph

I now have a slight issue that requires attention before it drives me mad - the header is very close, i.e. within a few mm of the steering column and is making contact when I go around a left hand bend as I am getting vibration through the steering.

All I need is to raise the engine slightly on the drivers side so that there is no contact and I have been looking at these Innovative engine mounts.

Does any one know if these are height adjustable and if not can any one recommend another make or alternative?

Thanks
Martin
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to hear that the PLM has this issue, guess it's not quite such a close copy of the J's in that case.

I had (still do if anyone wants a free "header" ) a Berk Tech manifold which is also a US designed POS, the only way to get that to fit and not fowl the steering column was with a small modification.

Cue big hammer

Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the photo all you would need is a 10 mm spacer between the mount and chassis and 10 mm longer bolts
You could do the same with your existing mounts, if you don't have the tools to do that draw around the mount plate and take the template to a local fab shop it should be no more than 1 hours work to cut one out of mild steel
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by blue monster,Feb 23 2011, 06:59 PM
Greetings all,

As of yesterday I have my PLM header & decat, Greddy exhaust & K&N CAI fitted (a big thanks to Ron ).
All of which sound fantastic and definitely gives the S more oomph

I now have a slight issue that requires attention before it drives me mad - the header is very close, i.e. within a few mm of the steering column and is making contact when I go around a left hand bend as I am getting vibration through the steering.

All I need is to raise the engine slightly on the drivers side so that there is no contact and I have been looking at these Innovative engine mounts.

Does any one know if these are height adjustable and if not can any one recommend another make or alternative?

Thanks
Martin
i had the innovative mounts, they are solid and not adjustable, your best option is what Ox mentione
Old 02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Feb 23 2011, 07:34 PM
all you would need is a 10 mm spacer between the mount and chassis and 10 mm longer bolts
You could do the same with your existing mounts, if you don't have the tools to do that draw around the mount plate and take the template to a local fab shop it should be no more than 1 hours work to cut one out of mild steel
This was my initial idea and wanted to run this past this Rob at Garage R.
Rob agreed that it would work but should probably not be used as a long term solution hence me looking at other engine mounts.

If any one has done this I would be interested to know how long ago it was done and if it still serves it purpose?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

try a big heavy duty washer or 2 and longer bolts

id advise raising both sides the same amount if possible
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Changing the engine position is NOT a long term viable solution.

I think the PL manifold uses larger diameter piping that usual, hence that if it did copy the J's pattern, it would interfere with the steering column.

The standard mounts on the S2000 are soft and offer up a lot of flex. I'm quite sure this is where the contact is coming from so it can be mitigated with a torque damper
Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 PM

The change in the engine position could affect the clearance of 1) the exhaust to the dash cowl and floor tunnel, wiring harnesses etc, 2) the working angles of the UJ's on the driveshaft, 3) gearbox clearances, etc

By raising the engine by 10mm at the front may not affect the the UJ's so much but with all that is wrapped around the exhaust in that area, I'd consider adding a smooth depression to the header first.

Just my 2p.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Send it back, demand a refund.

You are well within your rights to do this, as the item is clearly not fit for purpose!

Moving engines is not massively difficult in itself, but there will be unforseen consequences (see above).

There is a known similar issue with certain Land Rover v8 aftermarket headers and various engine bay components. Believe me, there is not a whole lot of room once you start trying to wedge 4 big pipes between engine and chassis rails on each side... The accepted solution in such cases is either to send it back with photos and a carefully worded phone call (and repeat until you get one that fits) as it is mostly a QC issue, rather than a desin issue.

The alternative is to take it out, cut the pipe out and put in a new one that clears the obstruction.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy my one instead

Quick Reply: New engine mounts required