UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Member! Anyone have an Invidia Q300 I can listen to, south west?

Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member! Anyone have an Invidia Q300 I can listen to, south west?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to S2000 ownership and new to this forum!

I'm looking at getting an invidia q300 exhaust however I have seen numerous posts about the system being very quiet, I have listened to clips on youtube but still cant really tell how loud they are, I love the sound they make but I don't want anything that's too quiet I like a bit of noise!

Does anyone have this system in the south west (i'm from Bath/Bristol area but willing to travel!) that would be up for a mini meet so I could have a listen before I end up spending £700 on an exhaust that might not be loud enough?

Cheers

James
Old 11-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Be careful going too loud. Louder also means more drone when it comes to after market.
If you want something loud with a similar look to the Q300, get the N1 or Skunk2.
I have a skunk2 on mine and it is LOUD! Also drone is quite bad at cruising speed, hence why I am currently looking to add a resonator to the exhaust in an attempt to eliminate drone. Can be done with some calculations, but add another £150ish to have the exhaust modified.

But anyone will tell you that if you want loud, get a Skunk2, it is probably one of the loudest exhausts for the S2000.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!
Skunk2 is the other exhaust im looking at, I really like the noise the q300 makes so ideally would like to go for that however if it is too quiet ill be looking at skunk.

Noise isn't too much of a problem for me as I have another car as a daily so the s2k doesnt get driven much, but I know what you mean, drone can be quite painful!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Q300 with cat fitted is not loud. Q300 without cat fitted is louder. I would not fancy a Skunk2 and i like noisy exhausts. Q300 is more subtle but not as subtle as say the Blue Flame twin exit which i had before this.

Zudzilla had the Q300 with the rolled tips, mine is the 5" slash cut and it's a bit louder than his rolled tips one.

Exhaust noise is subjective, youtube videos are not really much use in this regard.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If your ever up towards Stratford-on-Avon / Coventry, I am happy for you to come and listen to mine.
I had the HKS Spec-L fitted before, but prefer the look of the skunk, so in the process of quieting it down a bit. First mod wont be until the new year though.

The HKS single exit (75mm) is quite loud, but not as loud as Skunk2, and believe has very little drone.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:24 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The Invidia Q300 I had on my car for less than a month registered 104 or 105dBA on an OSHA calibrated sound meter. This was behind a Berk 63.5mm high flow cat so it may be slightly louder than behind the OEM cat. If your employer subjected you to that noise level you'd be required to wear hearing protection and have annual hearing tests.

I bought the exhaust based on comments on this forum that it was "not that loud" or "barely louder than stock." Nonsense! This exhaust was on my car for about a month only because I couldn't get a replacement any faster.

Horrible drone in the 3000 - 4000 rpm range, right where the car is normally driven.

Ya need more than a 10 minute trial with any exhaust you're considering to include some highway driving. Audio clips are useless as the mic clips the sound level and your PC (or iPad) speakers couldn't reproduce it anyway.

Both a buddy and I installed the Q300 the same week. Both of us junked it and fitted Tanabe Medalion Touring duals with in a month. But don't take my word for it -- hear these exhausts yourself.

-- Chuck
Old 11-11-2016, 06:50 AM

That's the thing isn't it Chuck everyones ears are different - mine don't notice any drone or excess noise - equally i barely do any driving where the revs are constantly sat at 3000 to 4000. I'd love to hear your views on a Skunk2
Old 11-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Denial is rampant many times especially if ya just bought something expensive and are embarrassed to admit the mistake. I also see this in the firearms courses I teach when guys show up with very expensive rifles or pistols and do poorly in the course because they bought POS stuff.

Noise toleration is one thing but excessive noise is easily measured. By noise standards the Q300 is illegal on a street car in many states. California vehicle code defines the test procedure. Pretty simple.

The Speed Academy guys fitted the Tanabe Medalion Exhaust to their race S2000 to keep with track (and road) noise standards. I gave the Q300 a more than fair trial but watching my wife hold her fingers in her ears and make "that face" was more than enough for me to rip the system out probably a bit before my neighbors started burning things on my lawn.

To be fair the Q300 was very popular at the high school.

-- Chuck
Old 11-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've heard from several people the drone is pretty bad indeed with the Invidia.

There's way better exhausts for the S2000 which produce far less drone and still have a beautiful but civilized sound like the Tanabe or the new Greddy SE system (which has a Helmholtz pipe to eliminate drone).
Mine has a J's Racing 60RS dual with J's Racing decat, very happy with the sound (quite civilized when driving normal, quite loud in vtec) and I haven't experienced any drone yet.

If you just want loud, go for a J's Racing 70RR SINGLE Buddy had one on his S and it's definately one of the loudest exhausts I've ever heard.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:30 PM

I don't like our neighbours at all and when i leave for work at 5.30am and start the car with it tucked up against the double garage door, i am sure they love me just as much Noise wise, the Blueflame system was by far the sweetest but then by all accounts, the exhaust mod with the larger of the bypass pipes sounds very similar and is far better value.

Quick Reply: New Member! Anyone have an Invidia Q300 I can listen to, south west?