UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Ohlins Road and Track Coilovers

Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Ohlins Road and Track Coilovers

Hi all, just returned from Aurok ltd who fitted the new Ohlins Road and Track coilovers to Claire's S2000 they are the first S2000 set in the UK so interest was high.They feature DFV dual flow valve technology which keep the tyre in contact with the road more of the time, its complicated so see here-

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/en/the-technology/

Visually the units are very impressive and have looks to match their £1800 +vat price tag, they seem beautifully built with top quality components and lovely machining used everywhere, even the instructions are excellent with clear information on how they work , exact initial assembly directions, and detailed setup suggestions.
They come 25mm lower than std and are further height adjustable +/-15mm WITHOUT affecting the spring preload. (which is how many others are adjusted),

The engineers at Aurok took initial measurements of the car, ride height and geo so we could put it back together easily. and worked carefully to remove and fit the new units and setup the car. After a few small adjustments to show us the range of adjustability we were on our way. =D> =D>

The ride is setup as road spec as it is a daily driven car but with a few clicks on the adjuster can become a trackday beast, the dampers offer a 30 click adjustment window which can be moved or enlarged if the car is going to be track biased or for competition etc, all the internal adjustments can be made by Aurok in house, the units are also completely rebuildable.
As the units come they are suitable for trackdays and road use out of the box.

With the Ohlins recomended settings the ride itself is very compliant , feeling comfortable and initially felt slightly stiffer than the oem, but giving nice controled motion over all road surfaces we have found so far and still very stable while cornering without excessive roll when pressing on. with the units stiffened the ride was noticably harder and more go cart like but still didnt get harsh or become easy to break traction. they offer great damping control so use a softer spring unlike being oversprung with poor control like most Japanese units so traction so far has been excellent. We have since softened the damping by 1 click to increase the comfort a little more (i'm getting on a bit) which is just about perfect.

Overall we are very happy with the units, they offer great ride quality and adjustment scope for the future too incase trackdays become more regular, I would have to recomend The Ohlins Dampers and Aurok fitting shop to anyone wanting the ultimate ride and adjustability especially if their car is dual purpose. :xcheers: Ohlins and Aurok.

expect fitting and setup to cost approx £250

Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had these on my mx-5 and they were great!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM

I think I sold the same one custom made by Japanese ohlins 2 years ago to someone on this forum. Good to see they finally bringing this to UK officially now. Do they do custom spring rate and damper rate like Japanese ohlins?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C&S Evo7,Aug 11 2010, 04:59 PM
they are the first S2000 set in the UK
Aurok may have told you that, but it is not entirely correct.

Rambo1 has had DFVs for quite some time (originally ordered by PJL).

They were released in Japan a couple of years ago.

http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/hal.html

Chris.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 AM

Hi Dixon, yes they can be custom valved but i have to say unless you were competing then they will be fine out of the box.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been speaking to Quantum Racing Suspension. They do custom valved dampers. A similar price range to the DFV but the biggest advantage is that they can be rebuilt and revalved here in the UK by a British company.

They are big in Japan.

I've yet to come across someone in the UK with a set of these on an S2000

http://www.qrs-j.com/auto_m/t5_rs.html#con
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Loon,Aug 11 2010, 08:42 AM
I've been speaking to Quantum Racing Suspension. They do custom valved dampers. A similar price range to the DFV but the biggest advantage is that they can be rebuilt and revalved here in the UK by a British company.

They are big in Japan.

I've yet to come across someone in the UK with a set of these on an S2000

http://www.qrs-j.com/auto_m/t5_rs.html#con
The Ohlins stuff (and other makes actually) can be revalved and serviced by any good suspension technician.

I used to have ohlins suspension on my motocross bike (ok, not strictly the same) however the rear shocks are almost identical.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
UK Moderator

I've seen Quantum in JDM mags Haroon, but like you not seen anyone on the board with them. Might be a bit risky getting some without knowing what they are like. I notice from your link that you cannot adjust ride height without changing spring preload--you can with the DFVs.

Chris.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM

Chris, the units were sourced direct from Ohlins UK, Aurok were used for fitting and setup only, We have the "Brand New" European road and track dampers, they are the first set fitted in europe. (only arrived last week from Japan)

The old style units were made under licence in japan and valved to suit the japanese roads they are not the same,
They can be fully rebuilt, revalved and serviced by Aurok in Hampshire, so can be custom tuned to suit any application like my reply to Dixon unless you are competing with them they will be ok out of the box
Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM
UK Moderator

They look the same, I suspect that they are, except for spring rate and valving (as you say).

Originally Posted by C&S Evo7,Aug 11 2010, 06:01 PM
unless you are competing with them they will be ok out of the box
It's alright I have something else

Chris.

Quick Reply: New Ohlins Road and Track Coilovers