S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   New owner - finally! Questions and parts recommendations.. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/new-owner-finally-questions-parts-recommendations-1184672/)

tommys2k? 05-13-2018 12:37 PM

New owner - finally! Questions and parts recommendations..

Hi all,

At long last, I'm chuffed with my recent purchase. 2001 ap1 with some nice modifications!

First time I've ever driven a Honda / VTEC when I test drove it haha! Awesome noises were made. Consider it sold! I will try and get some photos up soon.

I noticed a few little things with the car so just wanted to pick your brains on these;

1. Small leak on the back of the clutch pedal. Not enough to cause dripping, just noticed it was wet/oily. I'm totally new to these cars - is this just the clutch slave cylinder? What's the rough cost of replacement and best parts website to get decent bits? Tegiwa?

(Clutch pedal has a slight buzz to it - have read about this before, so hope that can be normal)

2. Front brake discs! The car recently had new discs and pads all round. (MTEC and Ferrodo) However, braking from high speed / hard they feel warped. Vibration can be felt through brake pedal due to this. (Believe previous owner may have slightly overheated them on his first trackday)

Would this just be a simple case of putting some new front discs on and hoping for the best? Or could I try getting them machined slightly down? Not heard of that before but as they are very recent, wondered if it's possible?

3. The TCT on the car looks relatively old, should these be done for preventative maintenance...?

4. Finally, the belts at the front of the engine don't look very recent, so I'd like to get these done. Are these just power steering / alternator belts? Best to buy OEM or parts recommendation for these? Ha!

Sorry for all the newbie questions, needs me some car parts!

Much appreciated.
T

noodels 05-13-2018 01:42 PM

Slave cyl is on the gearbox
replace discs.or if you have spacers it may be the prob
tct leave until its noisy
its has electric steering,so no pump or belt for that.

richmc 05-13-2018 10:10 PM

First you don't need to say you have an AP1, we all do. AP2 was USA and Jap market only and refers to the 2.2L engine not the car.
1. that's the master not slave.
2. New disks at cheep as chips, having them skimmed might be just as expensive as replacing. But yes it's possible.
3. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
4. That's the auxiliary belt for alternator, water pump, aircon. Change if you wish, would be worth spinning all the pulleys/ancillaries to check for bearing ware once you have it off.
Parts, look at- S2000 (AP)
and - https://www.lingshondaparts.com/

Don't worry we were all newbies once, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome to the pack.

lovegroova 05-13-2018 10:56 PM

Try cleaning the discs first. "Track" pads can leave deposits on the discs if not bedded in properly.

Chuck S 05-14-2018 03:19 AM

Only one (1) belt on the front of the engine and the idler/tensioner has marks on it to show if it's stretched beyond spec. Probably a 3 minute job to change if necessary. I changed mine at about 50K miles.

-- Chuck

tommys2k? 05-15-2018 02:27 PM

Brilliant, thanks so much for all your help already!

Richmc, thankyou for the info - great links. I also looked at Tegiwa and H-tune, assume these are just as good for finding genuine parts.

Lovegroova, thanks! What would be the best thing to use to properly clean up the discs? Just some brake cleaner and old microfibres with some elbow grease? I'll definitely give that a go first! Funnily enough I'm not far away from WIM myself, will head there for an alignment one day.

Chuck, cheers. I inspected it tonight and will change it for piece of mind. It looks quite old. The adjuster is near to the mark. Just need to order the belt!

I've been reading about the clutch master cylinder problem which seems quite common.

This video below as various threads on here suggest that as a starting point, changing the fluid in the master cylinder is a great start and can help to solve leaking issues. If not, I'll just replace the master.

My next n00b question is, clutch fluid - what is the best stuff to put in the clutch master cylinder!? I didn't even know brake fluid and clutch fluid were the same thing until about 5 seconds ago. Wow. Any DOT4 fluid is safe to use then I take it? (Doing this won't cause any bleeding / air bubble issues will it?)

Thanks guys!

richmc 05-15-2018 10:03 PM

Yes DOT4, the clutch system is far less demanding than the brakes as it doesn't get so hot. Bleed out till it's a few mm from the bottom then use clean rags to get any sludge out of the reservoir, fill it with fresh fluid and bleed till what comes out of the slave is clean and clear, remember to top up the reservoir as you go then you wont get any air in the system.

Riknos 05-24-2018 01:31 AM

my Clutch master cylinder was weeping and it is a pain to replace, I pulled muscles in my back even with the seat out trying to do it - in the end I just paid TGM to replace it.

Brakes - I'd get the callipers off and strip and clean and grease everything, they're prone to seizing/sticking. worth doing before you spend any money, and they will need doing at some point anyway