UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New Owner in the Making! Any Advice?

Old 07-18-2002, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner in the Making! Any Advice?

Hello there, one and all.

I
Old 07-18-2002, 02:02 AM

WELCOME FLETCH!!

Sorry, can't help with any of the questions, and am quite happy withthe S2000, well, when its back on the road anyway!

Just thought I'd say HI and welcome to the board!

Cracking choice of car by the way!!

Matt

(Do a few searches using the search window at the top of the page, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of tips about picking up your little beauty and what to look out for and watch for)
Old 07-18-2002, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Fletch and welcome to the board

I think the S2000 should be dubbed the "Peter Pan" car because NONE of its owners have really grown up (bring your new car to SuperMeet2 and you'll see what I mean! )

PS
I bought my car s/h (albeit with only 2,250 miles on) so others will be better qualified to talk about what to do with a brand new vehcile
Old 07-18-2002, 02:21 AM

My No1 son who lives in the U.S. now has just bought a new monster Camaro and he loves it.! He really likes the American iron!

Can't advise you on the dealership or the hard top. It's a new car so don't see you've got much to worry about. A few things that spring to mind though

Make sure the tonneau cover is in the boot!

Make sure you know where the petrol cap release is. You'll never find it. n/k... It's sort of in the drivers door jamb.

Experience shows most of us that dealerships are sadly lacking in knowledge of this car. Take any advice they give you with a pinch of salt. Ask here!

Make sure the oil level is correct before you drive off and keep a very regular eye on it. At least once a week!! Many S2000s use loads of oil in the first few thousand miles. it's nothing to worry about and it will settle down. Don't exceed 5-6K revs for the 1st 600 miles then gradullly build them up thereafter.... if you have the restraint!! LOL

Check the tyre pressures. Honda recommend 32lb psi all roun in the stock SO2s and most of us find that is ideal. With it's very rigid chassis and suspension set up this car is very sensitive to even a couple of pounds drop in tyre pressure and handling, braking and steering are adversely affected.

Lastly be careful. The S2000 is a great performance car, you're going to love it, but give yourself time to get used to that awesome VTEC performance. The car quickly transforms from a benign potterer when required, to a jet-propelled missile with peak torque at about 8400rpm. be really careful putting that power down in the wet.

Good luck and welcome to the board. You'll find the answer to many of the queries you must have if you use the search fuction and choice key words. The fuction is down at the moment due to a big redesign of the board.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:30 AM

Hi Fletch,
found a thread that may be useful
oil/tyres/spacers
Give the car an inspection i.e. dings, scratches, have a look at the soft top for marks, check it has delivery mileage.

There's probably no need to be a complete pedant as you can always go back to the dealer later if you find something.

You may find the days become very long between now and 1st September particularly if the turn around and say its now October
Old 07-18-2002, 02:42 AM

Hi Fletch

We all know exactly what you mean and understand about you waiting for delivery. I have just sold my 2000 and waiting for my 2002 (1st week Sept) Silver/Red GT. It is so painfull being without an S2000.

When you get your car, come to the Supermeet2 and have one hell of a time.

Dave
Old 07-18-2002, 03:06 AM

Fletch, welcome!
As a recent GT purchaser my two cents:

-ignore everything the salesman says on principle and rely on s2ki
-read this board, searching especially stuff like oil consumption, tyre pressures and running the engine in. When you get stuck ask - the people and experiences here helped me a lot!
-buy a good tyre gauge
-there is a document on this site on taking delivery, though I had trouble opening it
-when you collect the car you will need a volunteer with an estate/hatch to bring home the hardtop stand and cover - unless the dealer delivers it for you. Same volunteer is needed when you get home to remove said hardtop to permit immediate top down fun.
-make sure you have the self discipline NOT to Vtec before 600 miles! This is much harder than you might think and requires significant mental preparation before collecting the car!
-enjoy!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:19 AM

Wow, thanks for all the words of welcome, and advice.
(I never would have thought of looking for Spring spacers of all things.)

The more I read and hear about the car the more I'm sure I've made absolutely the right decision.

With driving the Camaro I've had quite a lot of experience of the back end going in the wet. But perfecting the 'power slide' in a big, heavy, American automatic will be a lot different to the S2000 I'm sure.

I just know that having to keep the revs down for 600 miles is going to be very, very painful.

And Moor... I prey that you are wrong, and I'm not still waiting after September.

Thanks again guys.
See you at Supermeet2 (Hopefully)
Old 07-18-2002, 06:50 AM

Hi Fletch,

Just wanted to add my

Enjoy the car when it arrives, I don't know how you couldn't really! (Apart from where you park it of course!!)

Regards

Ian
Old 07-18-2002, 07:42 AM

Well I've just got a Silver Red GT abt a month ago. If you have the time, I'll recommend going to the dealer to spend a few hours with their workshop staff going over the PDI. You'll be able to look over the car and learn a lot abt it too. I should have done that, coz my INT wipers didn't work and I had to send it back in a total of 3 times to try get it fixed. (Today is my 3rd time so I hope they can fix it)

Most dealers, or at least the one that I went to, are not as thorough with the PDI as I would like. Being there allows you to personally go thru the car b4 you hand over the dough.

TBC

Quick Reply: New Owner in the Making! Any Advice?