UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New owner with a story

Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with a story

Hi.

Finally I have another S. Leased one for three years until 2006 and have spent the interim years failing to find any car that absorbs and excites in the same way. Its quite special eh? So having saved the cash I spent the last four months searching. Tested several, including the ill feted 09 of Mr Gaspode which I turned down because I felt unsure about it having a new engine. But when 'the one' turned up (also Bristol Honda) I had no doubt. Right colour; low mileage, one careful owner, good franchise - bought it.

First week I noticed a slight rattle when the engine wasn't under load. Ruled out gearbox, clutch, loose heat plate, and felt the cold hand of engine failure on my shoulders. Took it back to the dealer where they agreed that the noise shouldnt be there and they checked it out.

That was nearly four weeks ago. Since then they changed all the 'shells' around the crank, and when that still failed to sort it and I took it back again, they finally put in a new short engine (from the Belgian stock I believe) under warranty. [Must say - guys at Bristol Honda impressed with their approach]

So having turned down an S with a replaced engine, thats exactly what I have! And I just love it ... all over again!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is this noise like? mine makes a very quiet 'rattle' when not under load...but i've not been in another to compare so unsure as to whether this is normal or perhaps i am listening out for such things given the 22 page 'Jenson' thread.....

I may well take it in for investigation when back from hols, although was serviced at Bristol Honda just a few weeks ago (noise has been there for months and to be honest dont ever recall it not being there - hence not rushing around in fear of engine failure really).

I guess my question is, would / should this be picked up while in for a service?

Glad you are happy though. Hope engine no.2 lasts longer!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:21 AM

The revs need to be around 2500 or more and it came in when just feathering the throttle when on the move, or perhaps just ballancing the car on a slight incline using the clutch (you can tell I anguished over it for some time). Once the engine really started to retard the car it disappeared. It would be noticeable I think - I certainly picked it up and I hadnt driven an S for over three years. The Cribbs branch did the work and when I asked them initially to listen they almost immediately spotted it. We also compared it to the new-engined S in stock (Gaspode's) and that comparison also highlighted it.

I suppose I caught it early and no trace of metal was found in the oil - hence I was content with a short engine replacement. Scary thing was the car had only done 5k miles!

The running in period is already hurting!
Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 AM

short engine?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 AM

Eevrything from the head down. Not that I am a teckie but I think most of the references on hear about having new engines refer to 'short' engines. New engine number comes with it and I think I have to let DVLA know the change too. Short in definition but not performance hopefully.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:07 AM

Ahh I see; I though for a moment Honda might have had Eric and Ernie versions of the F20c
Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 AM

Phil, you have nothing to worry about, if you had heard Longpig's (I presume it has the 555 plate on it) you know you have an issue Tried new shells first , (as per HUK's request) but to no avail. The noise had 'death rattle' all over it from the outset.
Hope you enjoying your S once again Longpig.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:55 AM

Glad you got it sorted

Any idea of the engine number of the original engine ?

BTW your car won't be silverstone (it'll be synchro silver)

Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers Gaxxy, its funny how these things can play on your mind though...I'm of the opinion that its under warranty so what the hell...not my problem for the forseeable future at least - love the car and just want to enjoy it for a while now!

Its provisionally booked in for its first track outing at Coombe on 21st September....looking forward to that!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 AM

On my old engine the noise I had was most apparent when feathering the throttle whilst holding the car on the clutch at about 2500rpm or just putting the car in neutral and reving it gentle from 2500rpm to 3k rpm. It was also more audible with the clutch pushed down and I could feel the knocking through the clutch pedal. Mine only did this noise when it was warmed up, strangely the new engine still makes a slight noise if you try and balance the car on the clutch while sharply revving the engine but nothing like the old engine and I can still sometimes feel it through the pedal, although when driving the car it makes no noise. I personally think it's a dodgy clutch fork on my car that's the culprit as I've had a new clutch, new input shaft sleve, new flywheel spigot bearing and new engine and the slight rattle when pushing the clutch down and revving the engine is still there (also if I gently push the clutch pedal down about an inch when driving I can here it rattle yet if I push it all the way down it stops) All these blown engines does make you paranoid

Quick Reply: New owner with a story