UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Front Calipers - Advice Please?

Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Calipers - Advice Please?

The NSF caliper was binding and I've got it off with no problems but the piston is pitted. I assume the OSF will need doing too and there seem to be a number of options:

1. Piston Repair Kit £28-£35 for the pair
2. Cheap new calipers from ebay - i've seen them as low as about £100 a pair.
3. Remanufactured - Around £65 on ebay
4. Motor factors £150 ish
5. OEM dread to think.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Also, i can't see how to get the dust cover off the end of the cylinder. I've gathered that long-nose pliers are required, but i can't see what to use them on and i can't find any pictures.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front calipers aren't too much of a hassle to rebuild if you can be bothered.

You'll need to clamp the brake line to stop the loss of fluid, then i would give then a really good clean inside with a Dremel to get any crud and rust out of where the seals locate.

Getting the dust boot back is a bit of a faff, but doable if you have a bit of patience.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:09 AM

Getting the dust boot back is a bit of a faff, but doable if you have a bit of patience.

Thanks. If i could get it off, i might be able to work out how to get it back in :-) Do i just rip it out? Surely there's some sort of circlip - but i can't make one out.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

i just got mine refurbed as the mess alone puts me off

Old 04-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is another thread further down the page titled "New rear callipers" that has a lot of suggestions applicable to the fronts including Youtube video links that show you how to do this
Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 AM

Thanks to all. The video showed everything in the minutest detail except how to remove the seals(!), but as there were no clips in the new assembly i assume i do indeed just rip away at the old ones. The trick to get the new seals round the piston looks a bit fiddly but i might give it a go. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, i think they get kind of stuck in the groove where they sit. I tried to remove mine carefully, but they ripped when i removed them.

I would also suggest checking the new seals are in place by pushing the piston back out again. They can seem to be seated, but i had to give it a couple of stabs.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

First side took me half an hour of arguiing with the seal, the other side took 5 minutes.

You can get the pistons out nice n easy by putting a heavy cloth over them, standing on them whilst applying air - no need to use a high pressure line, a cheap electric car tyre pump works perfectly well.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Did mine years ago. Unclefester's foot pump tip works well for getting the pistons out. Also, a thin piece of plastic curled around like a cone into the cylinder helps to keep the seal seated and guide the piston in without moving the seal. Then pull out the plastic from between the piston and the seal as you push it in. That technique worked OK for me.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rebuilt around 3 pairs of fronts. Won't do it again. Total Pita and would rather pay Bigredd or the like. Buy second set off ebay. Send those off and then switch over. Sell on old pair and the cycle of s2k shit calipers continues

Quick Reply: Front Calipers - Advice Please?