UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Scottish Fool looking for bit of advice

Old 08-27-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scottish Fool looking for bit of advice

Said hi on the main forum but don't know how many bits will bother looking there, so here goes!

​Always fancied an S2000 and reckon nows the time. I'm about to leave motorcycles for a while (my 2017 tuono is up for sale elsewhere) and I like the idea of replacing my bike with another toy and the s2000 seems to fit the bill perfectly .

Lurking online I've found more than a few comments about the car being a squeeze for taller people and at 6'2" I am left wondering if all will be OK?

I know, "go and sit in one", but as anyone from the UK and indeed Scotland will tell you there aren't exactly a lot of these cars sitting around dealerships for plonkers like myself to fart in
Old 08-27-2018, 05:16 AM

Default Scottish Fool looking for bit of advice

Said hi on the main forum but don't know how many Brits will bother looking there, so here goes!

​Always fancied an S2000 and reckon nows the time. I'm about to leave motorcycles for a while (my 2017 tuono is up for sale elsewhere) and I like the idea of replacing my bike with another toy and the s2000 seems to fit the bill perfectly .

Lurking online I've found more than a few comments about the car being a squeeze for taller people and at 6'2" I am left wondering if all will be OK?

I know, "go and sit in one", but as anyone from the UK and indeed Scotland will tell you there aren't exactly a lot of these cars sitting around dealerships for plonkers like myself to fart in
Old 08-27-2018, 05:23 AM

Ffs.

​​​​What a balls up of my first post - half the message is missing and I double posted it!

I swear, this isn't my first time internetting.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m 5’11 and wouldn’t say it’s ‘small’ - a eunos is small and a Lotus (Elise/Exige) feel small when you’re sitting in them.
The S has always surprised me with how spacious the cockpit is. The seats annoyingly sit too high and it has quite a low dashboard which emphasises this.

The drivers seat has quite a good reach if you’re all leg although the steering wheel is fixed. Unless you’re really claustrophobic then I’d say you’ll manage fine.
The following users liked this post:
cowboyjon (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where you're based, but I'm up in Aberdeen. I also have lowered seat rails which may help with a chap of your height. Even though I don't have that concern, it's still much better sitting in the car than the feeling of on it.
cowboyjon (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Just to add to my op that got cut short and duplicated from my phone earlier :

I'll be looking to spend 10k max and i kinda have my heart set on an early ap2 but i really want to avoid high mileage cars if i can. Would it be more bang for the buck going for an older ap1 with lower mileage at this price point or just buying a higher mileage ap2 and dealing with it?

One of the reasons i managed to get the missus to sign off on this venture is i assured her the car will not lose much (if any) money when i come to sell it so this is a major sticking point - i don't know these cars like everyone else on this forum at this point in time - from my layman's point of view the only way i could really lose money is 2 or 3 years from now when it comes time to move on trying to sell a 15-20 year old car with 120,000 miles on the clock could be a potential nightmare.

Any and all advice appreciated chaps!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy the lowest mileage car in the best condition you can afford is my advice. You are correct about trying to sell a high mileage car in a few years being possibly tricky.
as I say condition and mileage are the most important things. Don't worry about the year.
This my opinion but I may be biased
cowboyjon (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by tozerman
Buy the lowest mileage car in the best condition you can afford is my advice. You are correct about trying to sell a high mileage car in a few years being possibly tricky.
as I say condition and mileage are the most important things. Don't worry about the year.
This my opinion but I may be biased

Very sound advice fella.

Looking at the market it seems like if all i was aiming for was a year with an s2000 and have my wicked way and punt it on quick, a cheap high mileage model is as good an option as any.

However, i'm looking for something a bit more long term and want something that'll hold its value better...
Old 08-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboyjon
Just to add to my op that got cut short and duplicated from my phone earlier :

I'll be looking to spend 10k max and i kinda have my heart set on an early ap2 but i really want to avoid high mileage cars if i can. Would it be more bang for the buck going for an older ap1 with lower mileage at this price point or just buying a higher mileage ap2 and dealing with it?

One of the reasons i managed to get the missus to sign off on this venture is i assured her the car will not lose much (if any) money when i come to sell it so this is a major sticking point - i don't know these cars like everyone else on this forum at this point in time - from my layman's point of view the only way i could really lose money is 2 or 3 years from now when it comes time to move on trying to sell a 15-20 year old car with 120,000 miles on the clock could be a potential nightmare.

Any and all advice appreciated chaps!
You are never going to find any type of AP2 in the uk. AP2 refers to the 2.2L engine only sold in the USA and the Japanese domestic market. see here-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000
What you are after is an AP1 facelift.
cowboyjon (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

Where are about? maybe someone close to you will get in touch so you can "plonk yer bum".

Quick Reply: Scottish Fool looking for bit of advice