UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New rear calipers

Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine have been fine since my DIY refurb, there are quite a few videos online that show you what you're letting yourself in for - this is a particularly comprehensive one
although I'm sure he gets his greases confused somewhere along the line.

The tricky bits are; Getting circlip pliers that fit - you'll almost certainly need to buy a tool specifically for this job, and getting the lip of the dust seal in the caliper groove and over the piston at the same time (at about 27mins and 55mins in that vid above)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Jonner I've gotten a set from Micksgarage before when they had a discount available, think they've put the price up since though. Also refurbed a set before, fun it is not but it is doable. Id buy a punch bag for when it inevitably annoys the crap out of you....
Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get on Jonner?

Just had my 2009 S2000 serviced and the dealer reported a nsf caliper is beginning to grab, quoting £363 to replace, so it looks like the price has gone up!. Did you go the DIY refurb route or where did you source? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I re-furbed all of mine last winter, after the car had been Sorned for a couple of years, the pistons were stuck on all of them but a bit of elbow grease loads of spray lubricant and a Greece gun screwed on the bleed nipple position to "push" out the seized pistons and it was reasonably easy, just clean up, degrease paint and re-assemble with all the new parts came from good quality supplier on Ebay. Yes its a bit fiddly but I am no mechanic just an old school do it yourself type of person, and there are U tube vids to look at if unsure.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 AM

Agree with comments above - not too much of a faff to rebuild calipers - just be sure you know what you're about. I've done fronts (easier) and rears and neither were awful to do. (boots can be fiddly, but then I probably have smaller hands than most, ... but, fecks sake, but less patience ;-) )
for the rears you will need a set of long nose pliers - this is what I used / bought. I reckoned I'd prefer to spend my money on more tools than pay for rebuilt calipers.... but that's just me! others will do I'm sure.
.... Snap Ring Pliers | Part No. 4739 | Part of the Motorcycle Brake Service range from Laser Tools
This place has them at a better price than I bought them ...boo!
.... https://www.thetoolacademy.com/laser...ers-1884-p.asp
I got the parts from BigRed; others are available. I happen to like the guys there.
I used a pillar drill with a very simple, suitably sized, adapter in the chuck to press the circlip back into the rear piston....& it's still in there I think !! (joking)
The vid's for sure show you how to do this. I took the advice not to bother disassembling the (rear)
handbrake mech as mine (like most it seems) worked absolutely fine.
btw, love the Irish Thread- hadn't seen this before!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:42 PM

Got mine back from BiggRedd the other day, £320 for all 4 refurbed (fronts are cheaper than rears due to e brake mechanism (I assume), something like 180 rears/140 fonts). I've refurbed calipers myself before and normally try tackle most jobs myself but thought at that price it wasn't worth my effort considering they sort them out cosmetically as well. I was half expecting refitting the handbrake cables and bleeding the brakes to be a pain but all surprisingly straight forward. Binned the rear pads as they were 'unipart' pads with no tab to slot into the cross on the rear piston and replaced with OEM pads. (I assume that little tab is important for the handbrake mechanism to work properly...)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I have refurbished on my 2001 and they are excellent. It rarely sees bad weather now though (snow as it has winter tyres but never rain).

Just the mess made prepping for painting put me off, it's not expensive. I did have one leak though, they nicked the seal fitting it.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

EBC worked a treat for me and cheaper then refurbing https://www.larkspeed.com/category/v...alipers-Honda-
Old 04-27-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
Jonner I've gotten a set from Micksgarage before when they had a discount available, think they've put the price up since though. Also refurbed a set before, fun it is not but it is doable. Id buy a punch bag for when it inevitably annoys the crap out of you....
Cheers Ger but can't seem to be able to get them anymore
Old 04-27-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Boy
How did you get on Jonner?

Just had my 2009 S2000 serviced and the dealer reported a nsf caliper is beginning to grab, quoting £363 to replace, so it looks like the price has gone up!. Did you go the DIY refurb route or where did you source? Any tips greatly appreciated.
Didn't do anything as of yet as car is left sitting in the garden