S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   New S2000 Owner (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/new-s2000-owner-1176293/)

ALIS2000 08-09-2017 06:25 AM

New S2000 Owner

Hi.

Thought i'd post and introduce my self to the forum.

Am picking up my first S2000 2005 GT this Saturday, test drove it earlier in the week and got to say it's amazing, massive jump for me ( currently driving Toyota yaris 1.5 VVTI 2004 ) my brother has had 2 s2k's and ever since then i wanted to get 1.
Got the car in black 50k miles with full red leathers along with the speaker headrests, based around bedfordshire (will be great to meet other s2k owners).

A few questions?

Is there anything that needs to be changed when buying a s2k? (camber, geo bolts etc)
Best starting mods?
Any reputable garages near or around the bedfordshire area?

Thanks

senninha1994 08-09-2017 06:47 AM

Welcome to the S2k fold. Where abouts in Beds are you, there are quite a few in the area.
I would check if it has had a geometry check done recently, not just an alignment but a proper geometry. The S2000 is very sensitive to this and tyres.
I use Wheels in Motion in Chesham, talk to Tony. He knows his stuff in relation to setting up an S2000, it will be worth the £95.
This will let you know if you have any seized bolts in the suspension which will need replacing.
For servicing have a chat with James at Auto Tech Studio:
Water Hall Cottage
Wavendon Road
Salford
MK17 8AZ
01908 587543
07967 003608
james@autotechstudio.co.uk

Mods wise, how much do you have to spend and how far do you want to go. Typically starting point is intake and exhaust, then look to coilovers and if you are brave/loads of money supercharging.

Checkout the Rickmansworth run in the meets and events section, this is well worth the early start once a month.

ALIS2000 08-09-2017 07:03 AM

HI, I'm based around Dunstable/Luton area.I will definitely speak to tony once I get my car from the traders.

As for mods I will go with subtle changes such as headset, gear knob, intake. As I get used to the car I will throw more money at it.

Also I am thinking of getting a fresh set of AD08's. (are these the best for the s2k)

Thanks again for the info.

When buying cosmetic items (carbon fibre) who is the best person/vendor to speak to?

richmc 08-09-2017 12:42 PM

First thing to do is forget about mods, all you will do is reduce the value of the car, second thing to do is learn how to drive it properly. RWD is going to be mighty different to your Yaris get it wrong and you're dead.

PaulF 08-09-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by richmc (Post 24323860)
First thing to do is forget about mods, all you will do is reduce the value of the car, second thing to do is learn how to drive it properly. RWD is going to be mighty different to your Yaris get it wrong and you're dead.

Bit harsh... I'm still alive :D

In all seriousness, if you don't know what mods you want, I'd hold off until you know the car and what's available/is to your taste. Best advice is to keep the OEM bits so they can go back on if needed.

As winter is (here now seemingly...) coming I'd spend the money on a handling day or track day to learn the car and it's handling characteristics. I learned more in a day with Andy Walsh than I had in two years of ownership. The S can be a bit of a handful especially in greasy/wet conditions, learn that in a giant adult soft play area and not where there is a large amount of solid stuff to hit :LOL:

And welcome BTW, they are great cars, there is a great owners club and this is one of the best car forums around.

ALIS2000 08-09-2017 03:10 PM

Hi thanks for the advice, all mods I plan to do can be reverted to OEM so there shouldn't be an issue. I plan on going to one of the Airfield tracks where the is a huge run off that way I don't write off my car withing the first few months :)

ALIS2000 08-09-2017 03:11 PM

Thanks for the advice warning and I don't tend to be driving this car fast or in the same way as the Yaris any time soon.

har-vey 08-10-2017 06:02 AM

Ignore the old farts with the no mods cr*p. Do what you want with the car and enjoy it. Personally think the s2000 modified well is the way to go.

ALIS2000 08-10-2017 08:03 AM

Haha I was planning to anyways :). Plus all my mods can be returned to OEM so it shouldn't be too bad.

BenRNBP 08-10-2017 08:14 AM

Welcome aboard!

One thing you'll learn about S2000 parts and mods is that they ain't cheap ! As well as the geometry, I'd get it running sweet, known fluids change intervals (i.e. do them all so you know they've been done and the quality of the products) then minor things like grease your gearshift ball, clutch delay valve removal, valve clearances, caliper and piston condition ( they like to seize) - by then you'll have really good idea of anything else you'll want to do,

but more importantly get out, roof down, and hit VTEC (yo ! ) and enjoy the beaming smile as often as you can before the season changes :D