UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New S2Ki convert

Old 11-07-2001, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, there is the problem! Pioneer speakers are notoriously "bright", they would be ideal as mid range jobs but I can see why you would want a sub. One alternative would be to have a listen to some 6 inch components at the shop you go to, you really will notice a difference in bass and should find they have much smoother treble response too.

Don't worry too much about the wiring loom, most places these days fit interface cables as it is a lot quicker than having to crimp everything together. In any case a decent installer will be able to hook up the KCE box of tricks for you with a bit of patience.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gus

You are the 3rd person to ask about photos of my rear speaker install! I haven't, but I will try to take a couple of shots this evening - light could be a problem tho' so it may have to wait for the weekend. This could tip me over the edge with my wife tho' (who already seriously doubts my sanity) - 'What are you doing dear???'
'oh, just taking some pictures of my rear speakers!!'
Old 11-07-2001, 01:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ianl
[B]Gus

You are the 3rd person to ask about photos of my rear speaker install! I haven't, but I will try to take a couple of shots this evening - light could be a problem tho' so it may have to wait for the weekend. This could tip me over the edge with my wife tho' (who already seriously doubts my sanity) - 'What are you doing dear???'
Old 11-07-2001, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sad bunch of gits!!

Turn the friggin' radio off and listen to that 'Symphony In Metal' by Honda.

Old 11-07-2001, 02:38 AM
gus

Ian L did you do your rear speaker install yourself or did you get pre made back panels ?
Old 11-07-2001, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well sort of! I hade the head unit professionally installed, and asked the (hugely sceptical) chap who did the install to run the rear speaker wires to the back of the car.

I bought the speakers in the states and did all the panel cutting and screwing in myself - and jolly proud of the job I am - it just disappoints me how few people are interested in grovelling around behind the seats to admire the install!
Old 11-07-2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by ianl
......chap who did the install to run the rear speaker wires to the back of the car.
I'm just about to do my install over the next two weekends and having not taken any interior panels off the car to date i have no idea what i'm gonna find.

I'll b running a load of wires from the HU to the boot for the sub & amp and will need to run wires back from the amp to the get to the doors. So where the hell do you put all the your wiring? I'll figure a lot out at the weekend, but meanwhile you got any tips for laying the wiring Ian?!

You've got co-axi's haven't you? Just wondering if you knew about space behind the door panels for the component crossover?

I'm also contemplating a custom box install in the wheel compartment to run another amp and two 20cm 3-way mids that i have. What is that cabin rear wall like? Is it all plastic on the inside? - just wondering about mid-range penetration?

You can tell i'm excited can't ya!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:05 PM

Hi Steve,

for the running of cables from the head unit to the boot I recommend these instructions (they're in PDF format):

OEM CD Changer Installation guide

A lot is not relevant but they do show the recommended routing of cables through the car. I'd use this only for the phono cables to send signals to the amp ofr the CD Bus cable. Run the power feed to the amps along the side sills to isolate the signal and power cables and prevent any alternator noise etc. cross talk.

As for removing the doors to fit speakers...

Daniel Hintz's (Mcgyver) stereo upgrade page

This site is pretty good, I recommend 18mm MDF to fashion spacer rings to allow the mounting of deeper speakers (bigger magnets) whilst preserving the OEM Honda baskets to return the car to stock later on.

I don't know about using the 8" speakers in the boot, they could maybe see service as mid-bass fill but how much power can they take? I doubt you'd get much benefit from their mid/treble output...

What sub/amp have you gone for? I'm looking for inspiration as I don't want to loose any more boot space to sub boxes!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:45 PM

I know you guys are in the UK, but if I can offer any assistance just ask.

If you're going to do the door speaker install feel free to use my instructions at:

www.lucidautomotive.com/guides/doorspeaker
Old 11-07-2001, 01:02 PM

Red:

Due to having just shelled out on the car last month i haven't got the luxury of buying specific ICE for the s2k. However i have got about

Quick Reply: New S2Ki convert