UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New soft top

Old 06-05-2014, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New soft top

Hi has anyone got a new soft top made by jack smith in Swansea and had fitted it themselves?? In ireland so I'd have go jump on a ferry to get it done over dere which would mean a trip wit a taped up back window where the glass was as I'd ave to send dat over in advance!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I think they (Jack Smiths) might carry a spare S2000 rear window and you leave your old one behind on an exchange basis. An alternative might be to get a Monsoon hood and fit it yourself. TBH the fitting looks pretty tricky - Floppys guide to roof removal just makes it look more intimidating
Old 06-05-2014, 04:59 AM

when I spoke to Jack Smiths they were reluctant to use anything other than your own glass window which they need in advance to bond into the roof. He mentioned it was getting hard to find good quality back windows and he risked ending up with one with a failed demister element in return - which he can't use. If you aren't fussed about the demist, give him a ring, he might have a duff one he can use to put in your roof and you can then leave him with yours in exchange. If you do want a guaranteed working demist, you'll need to send him one prior to getting there. Give them a bell - they are fine to chat to although usually busy (and shut for lunch 1-2pm I think).
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had mine done last week. They do the glass on an exchange basis now.......
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fatty were you happy with your new soft top... Im booked in July for a red roof... any feedback?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Very happy. You need to keep in mind that it's a guy working on his own in a tatty garage down an alley in Swansea, so you don't get the 'customer experience' you might elsewhere - Ray's a good bloke, happy to chat, nice guy etc., just don't expect a plush waiting room and a complimentary latte.

The product is great. I had to pick a bit of glue residue off the frame and snip a few loose threads that the likes of Monsoon etc. would probably have tidied up, but for less than half the price, I think it's a non-issue. The important stuff, the actual material, fit and workmanship seems excellent.

One word of caution; the fabric is very tight at first and needs to stretch a little after fitting, so keep an eye on the weather on the way home and don't get caught with the roof down in a heavy shower on the M4 which needs you to stop on the hard shoulder and two people struggle to get the roof latched down again. Very embarassing 24 hours later it was fine though.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 AM

So basically I'd probably be better taking a day off midweek and jumping on a ferry and heading down to him? Got quoted 950 here for a mohair replacement! I'd have a good weekend and a new roof in Swansea for that money!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And while you are there, having your roof done, visit the free local museum. A fantastic place to while away a couple of hours. It has the first flying aeroplane (yah boo sucks to the Wright bro')
Old 06-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
And while you are there, having your roof done, visit the free local museum. A fantastic place to while away a couple of hours. It has the first flying aeroplane (yah boo sucks to the Wright bro')
We ran out of time - would have liked to go......
Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 PM

You can get a mohair of eBay for £420 delivered if your up for doing it yourself

Quick Reply: New soft top