UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New spoon hardtop (ush...)

Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Current spoon products attract the masses, but are largely unaffordable. This spoon product fails to attract many, and remains unaffordable.

An alarming business model...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoon Sports Europe
Good morning from Tokyo it's 4am and my mind and body is very disorientated.

I are here attending TAS2014. If I wasn't feeling so jet lagged I would have checked in with S2KI sooner.

The concept of the roof is feeling, excitement and driver experience rather than outright performance only. The idea is to reinvigorate interest and innovation in the S2000 by radical design.

The roof offers the experience of open cockpit driving whist the driver is still shielded from the most severe elements. The frame is machined from one solid piece of aluminium and fixed by the OEM catches and CR tonneau cover mounting point. The top features plexiglass to the main roof with a colour matched surround. The product is still undergoing R&D and yet to be finalised - the concept of the design will remain the same. The aimed release is Autumn 2014.

As the top requires the use of the OEM CR tonneau cover it also requires the removal if the OEM soft top.

The price has not been released but is expected to be around the same as the current Spoon coupe top. So a tenth of the rumoured 30k

Innovation is not always liked by everyone but we hope it creates inspiration, communication and excitement by all.

Anthony
Morning. I'd doubt your sell any in the uk.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben G
I just don't know what 'that' is? It kind of looks like it's a design for the roof of a new a football stadium, or art for the sake of art, but something someone would willingly bolt to their car?

I like the mirrors though...

Originally Posted by Joeh
Imagine bashing your head getting in or out of the car, I'm pretty sure this is a one off and just for a laugh (Well I hope so)
lawl
Old 01-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

yuk'fubar,vomit !!! my first reaction to this I can appreciate the time invested and like modern art it will not be liked by everyone but damn that's ugly

I didn't like the other spoon top but this thing it kind of looks like the head off a disposable razor either way it would never make it on my car and they say we have bad taste in America that is the honey bobo of japan not trying to insult but I now have that image burned into my mind. good luck moving those things
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is nice to know time and effort is going into development, i reckon they will sell a few for people who want to stand out a bit. the UK weather won't warrant one over here though.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

WTAF!!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM

This top is really only functional to those "nice weather" kind of days. People perceive the S2000 to be a car of enjoyment. Most like to use it to its potential on the twisties and others like to enjoy just taking it out for a spin on a sunny day.

To me, when I see a new car come out, I rarely like it, until I start to get used to seeing it and I begin to like it, but I'm willing to bet that there will be someone that will pull it off and most people will change the way they think about it. These pictures are pretty much just the hardtop but not on a S2000 that represents it well. Although I am against having a form over function S2000 (stanced/flush), I believe that it will be pulled off by one of those guys and will look really awesome. I wouldn't knock it till its actually pulled off. These pictures don't do any justice. It looks like they are trying to mix a race car with a weekend car.

Another big problem is that it is designed by Spoon, known for their racing legacy. For them to come out with something more for cruising around is throwing everyone off, even me.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Hate to roll the car with that fixed to the top - you'd look like you'd headbutted a Senator at speed ..... that and the fact it requires a hefty premium to remove the soft top.

I'd just sell this and buy a GT86 if i wanted RWD with a lid.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Burn it, burn it with fire.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM

As a CR Delete owner, this concet is extremely useful to me! It can get crazy hot in the cabinet without the A/C. I usually leave the top off year round and I have Cabin cover for protection. This roof would not only pop on the CR but it would look like something from the future. I could also drive around with less worry about the elements which converts to, more days that I can enjoy my Car. I bet knowing spoon that this is also functional and lighter by a bit. I am willing to lend out my CR for demo in exchange for a top