UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New tyres...

Old 11-25-2004, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tyres...

Got all 4 tyres replace yesterday and what a difference it makes. The fronts were scrubbed as usual on the insides and the rears were down to 3mm but felt like they were slicks. Its really annoying how hard the compound goes at 3mm The car was pulling quite badly due to the scrubbed fronts and its a relief that it feels great again and has got sooo much grip. I'm just glad I got some new ones before the really bad weather sets in, with all the mileage I will clock up over the next few months.

Now the big moment! This morning as I was driving, I took the back roads as usual to avoid the stop start roads. I was going quite steady, and slowed to 50 for a slightly muddy section of road, then I entered a series of bends that I know very well, the car was completely fine until after coming out of a right hander at 45ish I noticed the road changes from lightly muddy to heavy mud leading into another right hander , I gently apply the brakes and the ABS kicks in so I pull off and apply again, its still gripping but the other corner is nearly upon me and suddenly a BMW appears coming the other way so no chance of slightly cutting the corner. The ABS is still chattering and the car weaves a little and as I am in the corner I can feel the rear moving to the left. Luckily the ABS did its job and I came out the other end fine, a very scary moment.

I know you should drive to the conditions, but this one was situation where the road was excessively muddy and I have never seen it like that before. I thought it was a little irresponsible of the farmer not to have cleaned it up, it felt like I was driving on ice. I wish I had seen the look on the BMW drivers face, probably suprised like me to see the mud and then to see me squirming around the corner I think a combination of new tyres, ABS, gentle control, and quite a bit of luck saved me from a potentially embarrassing 30mph slip into a ditch!

The downside of country roads
Old 11-25-2004, 08:12 AM

At the Heyford academy days, one of the exercises is ABS braking and steering at the same time - it's really rather impressive how much control one has.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:39 AM

Your the 3rd person, including me and 'neil s2k' to have some issues with new tyres and handling.

I'm very worried at the moment with the new tyres on my car, but with out meaning to be rude I am glad its not just me thats having some issues. Just need to get the tyres worn in ASAP. What a shame that is, that just means I have to do more driving.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

or a couple of donuts
Old 11-25-2004, 09:14 AM

Phew
Old 11-25-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Nov 25 2004, 05:12 PM
At the Heyford academy days, one of the exercises is ABS braking and steering at the same time - it's really rather impressive how much control one has.

I don't blame the new tyres, maybe the glossy stuff was still on them, but I think with my old tyres I would have been off the road!

I did about 300 miles today and well and truely 'ran them in', I had some great fun when a new Saab Aero Convertible tried to get smart and wanted to race me through a roundabout on the A43 it was hysterical and the new S02's did there job, they were awesome and I found the level of grip amazing. Such good tyres in the dry and when they are new.
I really need to do this. I am going to make a real effort to try and go on an event that will teach me the skills that I need if I get myself into certain situations. At the moment although I manage to control the car reasonably well, I know when I have got the backend by accident I have tended to panic a little. I don't really care about having the confidence to 'hang the backend out' but really to have the knowledge to deal with potentially hazardous situations like the one I experienced this morning.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Nov 25 2004, 05:12 PM

First Academy Day I did was in the wet and I couldn't believe how well the car stuck to the road, cornering, with ABS applied.

It can take quite a few miles to get new tires bedded in ..... even more in wet weather.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:41 PM

I can vouch for a new tyres lack of grip after replacing my left rear tyre following a puncture. The right rear had done about 6k. A week, and abour 50 miles, after replacinng the puncture I lost my S2 going on to a motorway slip road.

I still can't beleive quite how what happened, but I suspect the difference in grip between the left and right side was a major factor. After pulling away from an almost stationary position in 2nd, I was was just about to change up to 3rd as I entered the straight on the slip road and reach about 5-6000 rpm (i.e. not caning it). Next thing I know the car turns to the left and I loose the back. I manage to semi catch the car after a bit of a slide, but ended up scraping the side of the car of the crash barrier.

The S2 is now under the knife and is likely to be out of action for 2-3 weeks.

Nick
Old 11-25-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard luck Ciderboy. Happens to the best of us.

We need pics though
Old 11-25-2004, 11:25 PM

Hard luck indeed. I was going to take a few pics, but never got around to it. I think my subconcious found it too painful. The impact was only glancing and at a fairly low speed. The damage does not look that bad and from a few hundred yards it still looks like new! However, the estimate came out at

Quick Reply: New tyres...