UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dashboard LEDs

Old 02-16-2024, 07:29 AM
AWW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard LEDs

I replaced all of the dashboard lights with LEDs a few years ago. I was really happy with the results on the actual instruments but I was never happy with all of the buttons and switches. These are a mixture of T3 / T4.2 neowedge bulbs. I was never able to find decent replacements for these. I tried quite a few different suppliers and none of them would fit properly - most would just fall out as soon as you went over a bump. There are a load of threads on here but I can't find any actual part numbers and all suppliers mentioned are all in the US.
Has anyone in the UK replaced all of the T3 / T4.2 bulbs and if so, what supplier / part number did you use? I'm starting to build up a considerable collection of LEDs that don't fit!

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:24 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

were you able to replace the bulb itself or did you buy the twist bases alongside it? what "fell out"?
Old 02-17-2024, 04:25 AM
AWW

I bought the complete units with bases. The instrument cluster was really easy because everything fitted well. It's the T3 neo wedge bulbs that are the problem. Every one I've tried seems to be made to a slightly different tolerance so there is no friction when you turn them during fitting, hence they vibrate anti-clockwise and fall out. These are the last type I tried:

10pcs T3 Neo Wedge Car Truck Dashboard A/C Climate Control Switch LED Light Bulb | eBay

The base looks the same as the oem ones, but they are a fraction of a mm bigger.

I'm hoping somebody else has done similar and found some well fitting bulbs.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

was it a difficult job to replace the bulbs? assume removal of dash?
Old 02-22-2024, 08:01 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AWW
I bought the complete units with bases. The instrument cluster was really easy because everything fitted well. It's the T3 neo wedge bulbs that are the problem. Every one I've tried seems to be made to a slightly different tolerance so there is no friction when you turn them during fitting, hence they vibrate anti-clockwise and fall out. These are the last type I tried:

10pcs T3 Neo Wedge Car Truck Dashboard A/C Climate Control Switch LED Light Bulb | eBay

The base looks the same as the oem ones, but they are a fraction of a mm bigger.

I'm hoping somebody else has done similar and found some well fitting bulbs.
Same experience here...infuriating bloody things...but after much disassembly and reassembly I changed all the broken ones in my dash and switches.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mat-i-
was it a difficult job to replace the bulbs? assume removal of dash?

It's a horrible job. Sorry!
Old 02-22-2024, 12:12 PM
AWW

On the plus side, it gets easier each time you take the dashboard apart!

Same experience here...infuriating bloody things...but after much disassembly and reassembly I changed all the broken ones in my dash and switches.
(sorry, can't figure out how the quote function works!)

Did you use the standard Honda bulbs or replacement LEDs in the switches?

was it a difficult job to replace the bulbs? assume removal of dash?​​​​​​​
Here's a couple of links with instructions:
DIY: Replace dash light bulbs (AP1) - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
LED Dash Lights - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
Once you've done it a couple of times, it's irritating more because it's time consuming than difficult, especially when you've done it a few times in a row. I used a combination of reflective wrap, multi bulb LEDs and home made diffuser / filter on the rev counter / speedo display. Finding bulbs for that bit was the easy part. I must have been in and out at least 10 times testing and modifying until I got it right. Still, it looks a lot better than stock and with no major cost.
It's the radio and aircon controls that are really annoying because you still have to take the dash apart to get to them, the bulbs are really fiddley and I've yet to find good LED replacements.
The following users liked this post:
trails (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by AWW
On the plus side, it gets easier each time you take the dashboard apart!

(sorry, can't figure out how the quote function works!)

Did you use the standard Honda bulbs or replacement LEDs in the switches?

Here's a couple of links with instructions:
DIY: Replace dash light bulbs (AP1) - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
LED Dash Lights - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
Once you've done it a couple of times, it's irritating more because it's time consuming than difficult, especially when you've done it a few times in a row. I used a combination of reflective wrap, multi bulb LEDs and home made diffuser / filter on the rev counter / speedo display. Finding bulbs for that bit was the easy part. I must have been in and out at least 10 times testing and modifying until I got it right. Still, it looks a lot better than stock and with no major cost.
It's the radio and aircon controls that are really annoying because you still have to take the dash apart to get to them, the bulbs are really fiddley and I've yet to find good LED replacements.
IIRC I used a mix of LEDs and regular bulbs in the switches...I definitely have a green LED in my starter button