UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

No lights on dash, car not starting, need help

Old 02-28-2018, 04:10 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperHamz
Phil managed to get the car started as you suggested, it was the lock assembly barrel that was the issue.

But driving it to the garage to replace the unit (saved some money getting a truck out) there was another issue. The steering wheel was at a 90 degree angle to the direction of travel.

Turns out that the steering rack's thread had completely sheered off and needed replacing.

Seeing as Honda Europe don't make the part anymore, it was either import from Honda Japan at a cost of £1,000+ shipping and duty, or get a second hand one. Opted for the later at just above £100.

Picking the car up this week, had the bushes done at the same time, was looking forward to driving again after 6 weeks, but the weather may play a part in that!
This sounds suspiciously like an incident a mate of mine had, can't remember the car but the column lock was broken and the rack knackered and the wheel at a stupid angle. It turned out from CCTV in his work car park some scrote had got into the car yanked the wheel using a jemmy and broke the steering lock, knackered the rack in the process couldn't get the car going so left it, he shut the door and it automatically locked the car as it hadn't been started for two mins. Although Mr. Plod saw the CCTV, and thought they knew who the perp was nothing more was done, probably too busy nicking drivers doing 32 in a 30. So although there's no obvious forced entry doesn't mean someone didn't try. This is one reason I have CCTV at home, although only for the insurance, not plod. This ended up as an insurance job, lucky he had comp with uninsured perp cover as it fell under that so NCB was safe, I recall it was a couple of grand to fix in all.

Last edited by richmc; 02-28-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
This sounds suspiciously like an incident a mate of mine had, can't remember the car but the column lock was broken and the rack knackered and the wheel at a stupid angle. It turned out from CCTV in his work car park some scrote had got into the car yanked the wheel using a jemmy and broke the steering lock, knackered the rack in the process couldn't get the car going so left it, he shut the door and it automatically locked the car as it hadn't been started for two mins. Although Mr. Plod saw the CCTV, and thought they knew who the perp was nothing more was done, probably too busy nicking drivers doing 32 in a 30. So although there's no obvious forced entry doesn't mean someone didn't try. This is one reason I have CCTV at home, although only for the insurance, not plod. This ended up as an insurance job, lucky he had comp with uninsured perp cover as it fell under that so NCB was safe, I recall it was a couple of grand to fix in all.
I really hope this is the case, our area is relatively safe and we live in a flat, so parking is on the street, usually opposite the local police station. I hate bloody thieves and opportunists, go get a job and earn your own keep. Bar-stewards!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperHamz
usually opposite the local police station. I hate bloody thieves and opportunists, go get a job and earn your own keep. Bar-stewards!