UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Noble M12 GTO-3 --- Test driven

Old 12-01-2003, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noble M12 GTO-3 --- Test driven

I'm considering one of these as my next car, maybe some time next year, and whilst I've read the stats and heard all the great reviews of it (Jeremy Clarkson's Car of the Year for the last 2 years running, and apparently he's about to announce the same for this year), I hadn't driven one and haven't even seen one up close.

Well it wasn't the perfect weather for it, which was disappointing, but the car certainly did not disappoint!

Went over to Mole Valley near Chessington - they're a TVR, Noble and AC dealership. Whilst they didn't have the M12 GTO-3R for demonstration, they did have the GTO-3, which has the same engine and performance, but comes with a 5 speed box (the 3R has a 6 speed)

Charles was my dealership co-pilot, and he took me for a bit of a spin while he explained about the characteristics of the car, the history of Noble, his experience driving these cars and racing etc. Under his expert control, the car seemed solid as a rock even in the wet conditions. At one fairly tight roundabout, where I would have tip-toed round in the S2000, he took it round with quite a bit more pace than I would have thought he dared, but the Noble held its ground steadfastly with impressive grip from all four corners and little or no detectable body-roll.

Finally, he decided that the engine was warmed up enough, and he'd explained enough to let me take over the hot seat.

Firstly, clambering into the car was a little tricky. It is very low-slung, the seats are mounted as low as is practically possible and the driving position is more horizontal than the S2000

The Ricaro (or Sparco?) bucket seats were fitted with standard 3-point inertial reel seat belts AND 4-point racing harnesses (nice!) The pedals were all very closely mounted to eachother, and whilst the brake and accelerator pedals were the same size making it difficult to heel and toe, it was easily possible to "toe and toe" by applying the ball of the right foot to the right side of the brake and the other toes to blip the throttle. (Needless to say, I wasn't going to be trying any of that in my first trip out in one - I'd have enough on my plate just keeping the car on the island).

I pulled away and came to a roundabout. When it was clear, I tried to pull away in first gear (nice and steadily mind you) but the rear wheels just started to spin. The clutch has a very short travel, and the biting point really is just a point - it's difficult to blend the acceleration and clutch to produce a smooth take-off (well - I wasn't at all familiar with the car yet).

As with the S2000 the Noble is RWD, but is delivering 352BHP to those rear wheels. Power delivery is instant with lots of torque throughout the rev range. The steering is incredibly precise with good feedback and requires only a tiny input to produce movement in the front wheels. Whilst it was only a short 20 minute test drive, we did go up and down a few dual carriageways and round a few roundabouts, and I can report that the turn-in to corners was excellent and confidence-inspiring.

At one point we got onto a good section of straight open road, so I decided to test out the acceleration I'd heard so much about.

The only word I can find to satisfactorily describe this car is - brutal.
The power delivery was instant with the revs quickly climbing from around 3000 to 6000rpm, the twin turbos hissing behind me, and the most instant acceleration I've ever experienced. It literally kicked you in the back, pushing you back into the seat and holding you there. Phenomenal! Charles quickly pointed out that I should back off a bit at this point, as if we hit a puddle of standing water we would be off. (I had checked the road ahead and knew that it was clear of traffic and puddles, but you can never be too careful). And quite right too.

It was great fun though!!!!

For those who don't know any of the technical details of the car, here are the stats on the GTO-3R:

Engine: 3.0L V6 with twin Garrett turbos
Power: 352BHP @ 6200rpm
Torque: 350 lb ft between 3500 and 5000rpm
Weight: 1080 kg
0 - 60mph: 3.7 seconds (oh my god!)
Max speed: 170mph (or 167mph in the GTO-3)
Body: GRP
Chassis: Steel space-frame

The only bad things I would have to say about the car are that the interior is a little plasticky - although on the 3R it's a little less bland, with padded leather bits, door pockets, storage nets in the footwells etc.

Also, there is no ABS, no air bags and no traction control. There is no boot. I don't just mean that it has a tiny not very practical boot, I mean there really is no boot - at all. There is some space in the interior behind the two seats and a small parcel shelf-type thing that could accommodate some weekend bags, but that's it.

I didn't notice if it had a clock or not!

But all these things aside, you don't buy a car like this for practical purposes, so I would say that it hasn't put me off at all. I still want one. Now possibly more than ever.

Discuss.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:46 AM

Pretty much the same conclusion I had reached after I drove one on a Supercars driving day earlier in the year, Mark I also drove a Diablo, Viper and Exige and none of them could touch the Noble for pure performance, enjoyment in driving and accessibility in my view.

Even with the 3R now coming onto the market, I fear that a used Noble is still beyond me. And for the kind of money I'd have to pay, I think I'd ultimately have to settle for a less-compromised second-hand 911 which could actually be used for going to the shops etc etc
Old 12-01-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting write up for an interesting car.

I've only ever seen them going the other way at high speed, which is a shame.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:50 AM

How much?
Old 12-01-2003, 04:50 AM

MarkW - I know the garage you mean in Surrey and the cars on display is truly impressive. I have seen the odd M12 about on the roads and they look fantastic, having driven one I am now very jealous of you.

Not that I could but what's the price of 2nd hand ones (I wouldn't want to show off and get a new one of course)?

(I wish)
Old 12-01-2003, 04:53 AM

Chris, they start on Autotrader at roundabout
Old 12-01-2003, 05:35 AM

That'll have to wait then, for a real long time - even if my folks were asking me what I would like for Chrimbo
Old 12-01-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmm,
Old 12-01-2003, 07:06 AM

Heard a few runours recently about the financial health of Noble cars - just rumours but it might pay to hold off if you are thinking of buying, parts might suddenly get very hard to source....
Old 12-01-2003, 09:39 AM

A colleague of mine has one (one of their first customers) and I am sure he would be more than happy to give you the low down warts and all.

MarkW - if you want to get in touch with him let me know and I can arrange it.

Quick Reply: Noble M12 GTO-3 --- Test driven