UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

noisy alternator

Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy alternator

Noticed last night as car was being put in the garage that there was a slight bearing noise coming from the pulley area,sprayed a tiny bit of wd40 on the alternator bearing(behind the pulley) and it went quiet. I realise that this is not a permanent fix but any ideas how to grease the bearing without stripping the alternator out? It was only a very slight noise but i guess it will only get worse in time.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Odd, it's usually teh belt tensioner pulley that gives problems.

Check the bottom bolt's in place & the ACs not pissed; mine had!

Assuming it's all OK, the bearing is sealed for life on most ACs.

You'll have to dismantle & drift out old bearing. You mightbe able to force in some lithium grease, I suppose. Stops the voices in the alternator!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Yeh all else seems fine,it may have just been a dry spot on the pulley but its not making any noise now. I am being rather pedantic as you could hardly hear the noise at all. I'll see how it goes and nip it down to Honda in a day or two if its noisy again. Its only done 17k but just over 3yrs old so they will probably sting me if anthing needs replacing.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes a right old noise too, might try spraying some WD on it and see if it shuts up.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Strip it out, new bearing about
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM

Can you guys help me? Is this the same noise you heard?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=704373

I made a video also
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be the tensioner. I used to see this problem on MX5s all the time. The noise was down to incorrect belt tension. On those you can adjust it, on the S it's self tensioning.

The alternator bearing will only have gone if there was a manufacturing defect, or if you've been driving the car with the incorrect tension for quite a while.

HTH
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by loftust,Jul 13 2009, 07:40 PM
It will be the tensioner. I used to see this problem on MX5s all the time. The noise was down to incorrect belt tension. On those you can adjust it, on the S it's self tensioning.

The alternator bearing will only have gone if there was a manufacturing defect, or if you've been driving the car with the incorrect tension for quite a while.

HTH
Well, I was in a pretty bad accident and my serpentine belt got frayed and was replaced I think due to the ac compressor getting hit. Got the car back from the body shop that did the work, it rides perfect, but at low idle, I hear a slight noise that was never there before. It's like a low whirrrr sound. It only happens when the idle is low, around 1,000 rpm, but it's buggin me, as I hear it in the garage, or anytime I'm next to a wall idling. Anyone have any ideas???

I have a friend that hosted this vid for me:

Video I made of belt noise/whirrr at idle

As I rev the idle UP, it goes away, but at low idle you can hear it.,

EDIT, here are pics after the the accident before the car was repaired in that area:

I have since brought brought the car to the Honda dealer, (car was fixed by body shop, not honda), and Honda said they ran the car with the serpentine belt OFF for a minute and the noise went away 100%.

They spun the idler pullery and tensioner I think they said, and listened with a stethiscope, or whatever you call and and heard noise from these two pulleys. They gave me these part #'s:

31180-PCX-003

31190-PCX-000

Today the above two new pulleys were installed by the Honda dealer, and the noise is still there. The dealer isn't charging for the new pulleys, which is nice of them, since the noise didn't go away. They think the only thing left could be the water pump pulley (and they suggest replacing the water pump at the same time, since all the labor to get to the pulley would made sense to probably replace both) or the alternator could be the noise.

This noise never existed before the accident, and not sure how I would ever get insurance to pay for this if the dealer can't determine if it was from the accident? I made just have to pay out of pocket. Alternator/Waterpump/pulley are sealed units and can't be taken apart, and insurance said they'd have to see marks on them, etc, which the dealer can't find. All I know is, the car never made this noise before the accident, and I can't really prove it, since the parts are sealed, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 PM

if they used the stethiscope with the belt off, cant they use it when the belt is on and see 100% where the noise is coming from?

alternatively, grab a screwdriver - handle end on your ear, and the other end on each component - see if you can self-diagnose where the noise is coming from.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Apr 9 2008, 07:54 PM
Mine makes a right old noise too, might try spraying some WD on it and see if it shuts up.
wd40+bearings=very bad

The WD40 will dissolve what grease there is in the bearing and although it will quieten it down for a while the bearing will fail due to lack of lubrication.

Quick Reply: noisy alternator