UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Non S2000 owner

Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non S2000 owner

Ok i'm sure this happens a lot on the forum.

Anyway I don't own a S2k but am thinking of getting one, I have alway loved the S2k. I own a Astra GTC VXR atm and still love it but i have been starring at Pistonheads looking at S2000's for the past few weeks and thinking of getting one. Only problem is I can't really afford it atm with my GTC VXR being on finance, I could juggle 2 cars on finance i think (obviously depending on length of term and deposit). I don't really wanna get rid of the GTC VXR but it i could trade it in and get a S2k outright (probably depending on trade in price and finance remaining) and then maybe save for a diesel daily driver.

I would be looking for a facelift S2k, tbh colour doesn't really matter but i'm not really too fond of nurburg blue and the navy blue. I would also like one with a hardtop for winter months and fairly low milage.

I have been looking at this s2k mainly because its from a dealer (finance so could keep VXR) and low milage. Black 06 GT
Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi there, not sure what you are asking TBH
Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my 2P here:

Dont over stretch yourself financially. You have a car that you say you like, get that paid off first and then have another look at an s2000.

Hardtops are great, but I hated the look of mine with one so I sold it. The OEM hood is good and I haven't had any issue this winter at all. Actually that is a lie someone did stab my top but that's by the by.

The link you have provided looks like a nice car, best colour!

Welcome to the forum!

Mike
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 AM

I have one question about S2k, how much space is in the cabin? Just asking as i'm 6'4".
Old 03-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Not enough
Old 03-09-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never trade in anything on another car. You are way better off selling it on your own and then buying the S. Dealers only take cars at less than wholesale and sell retail that is what they do. You should too. If you are 6'4" I would not recommend an S.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If cash is tight get some insuernce quotes what will road tax cost you and consider if you can afford 30MPG on super, if thats doable then you can consider going for it.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
If cash is tight get some insuernce quotes what will road tax cost you and consider if you can afford 30MPG on super, if thats doable then you can consider going for it.
Well I've done a go compare quote before and go £660 from elephant. My GTC VXR is £550 with admiral ATM.

That's with only 2 years NCB (I never had my own policy till I got my VXR), total 6-7 years driving though. I'm 24 years old.

ATM I only have £1000 saved up in savings account but I get paid £1000 a month and £350 goes to VXR finance then approx £100 on other bills like phone and other stuff. I still live at home which is a bonus, and genuine reason, I work at home on family dairy farm.

Also the VXR only averages 28mpg and it gets super. Plus if I'm stuck for money my dad usually bails me out lol.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Squill
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1394382596' post='23053906
Well I've done a go compare quote before and go £660 from elephant. My GTC VXR is £550 with admiral ATM.

That's with only 2 years NCB (I never had my own policy till I got my VXR), total 6-7 years driving though. I'm 24 years old.

ATM I only have £1000 saved up in savings account but I get paid £1000 a month and £350 goes to VXR finance then approx £100 on other bills like phone and other stuff. I still live at home which is a bonus, and genuine reason, I work at home on family dairy farm.

Also the VXR only averages 28mpg and it gets super. Plus if I'm stuck for money my dad usually bails me out lol.
My advice:

You're essentially pissing money down the drain to have cars on finance, lining someone else's pockets.

At 24 I had a mortgage and had to tighten my purse strings for a while, so I ditched the car and the bike, got a £1200 MX-5 and was having more fun than 99% of road users whilst saving money. 2 years later my mortgage was down to half what friends were paying in rent, and my income had gone up so I could afford to buy and run an s2000 and still have enough to enjoy life before you get too old, no point in pissing 1/3 of your income on car finance... seems insane, especially when it's nothing special.

Not trying to tell you how to live your life, just maybe you should consider different options to finance.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I wouldnt do it squill

Either chuck in the GTC or wait until you have the cash, lots of s2000s will still be around

Having said that we're at opposite ends of the conservatism scale

Quick Reply: Non S2000 owner