UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Not bad for (more than..) an evenings' work

Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not bad for (more than..) an evenings' work

Well after picking up the replacement soft top from Nomadic a couple of weeks ago, I sorted out some time to actually do something about fitting it this evening. Armed with some instructions from the US board on how to upgrade the frame to take a glass-screen roof, I set about the car in ernest.

Now, call me a perfectionist, but if you look really hard, you might just spot the niggle that I have with the existing roof:

So, time to whip it off:

There are some pretty tricky bits involved in this - and I was a little over enthusiastic with my interior removal, but it's all good fun and it means I'll have a chance to clean it all properly tomorrow. There were quite a few casualties from the plastic press-fit clip population, though...

A bit of dinner and a cup of coffee later, I was ready to crack on with putting the new one on. The first job was the most swear word inducing 30 mins I've spent on a car since doing the H22 conversion on my civic. Still, it meant I was in a position to check out my handywork:

I think the Ten hrs quoted in the instruction manual is allowing for people who have little or no experience at taking things apart / putting them back together. From start to current stage, it's taken me about 3hrs actual work (faffing and coffee breaks removed).

I'm hoping to conclude the proceedings tomorrow afternoon after a meeting I have in the morning - herein lies the benefit of having a hardtop!

It's going to be a noisy old trip - no rear tray, not much interior and only one seat. Still, it makes for a nice pic-whore opp:

Next installment tomorrow!!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Ace !
Old 10-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work!

Is that your VX in the foreground? Turbo or 2.2?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM

The VX is one of dads' - it's an NA with a Stage Two upgrade from Thorney Motorsport (Miltek exhaust and manifold, ITG Carbon induction kit, something else and a remap). It's good fun, but personally, I'd have gone for the turbo
Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by keith2.2,Oct 21 2010, 10:17 PM
Now, call me a perfectionist, but if you look really hard, you might just spot the niggle that I have with the existing roof:
Brilliant. Yeah i'd say you've got your moneys worth out of that roof!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job !

I once tried to fit a roof on a 320. seemed to be a bit hard to shut fully so i forced it. The result was a giant rip in a new roof !

Never again for me !
Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 PM

yeah from what I gather, it helps to add a bit of heat to the equation the first couple of times.

The fact that this replacement is a used one rather than brand new should hopefully help. It's definitely pretty tight, though! will know more tomorrow when it's all bolted back together!

...there are a couple of jobs that I'm reeeaaallly not looking forward to..
Old 10-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Hi Keith, great job!

Out of interest, if I bought a 2nd hand glass roof from ebay or such, how much would you charge to swap it over on my car? My rear screen has looked a bit like yours for about 12 months now and at some point i need to get round to making the change.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Paul - I'll see how this goes but tbh it's not as bad as I was expecting so we might be able to come up with something.

-keith
Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Mate, I am impressed! The tricky bit I thought was the front roof edge and the refitting of the plastic rear trays..

Quick Reply: Not bad for (more than..) an evenings' work