UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Nothing Happens Pressing Start Button

Old 09-09-2015, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common problem by the looks of it.

Had the random no start problem. Checked the board and pin 16 (I think) was melted. Would work with a wiggle for a bit.
I bypassed the melted pin and hardwired the cable which helped but the proper fix is replace the plug on the loom and replace the board with one from H&P.
Had a good chat with Jim and there is a way to get the car running in the mean time but it does mean you won't have an alarm/immobiliser or central locking.
I'll try that tonight just for the fun of it, and probably order a new board tomorrow to fix the car properly.

Pic of the board when removed to show the mess:

Old 09-09-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For that kind of money if have had a new alarm fitted

When my board failed it was a direct result of water ingress due to the fact the it was screwed to the floor with no sealant (according to my alarm fitter!)
Old 09-09-2015, 03:59 AM

Tried that route and all I got was "factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, no chance mate. Don't want anything to do with it. Take it back to Honda".
Waiting on a call back from them but assume the price will be as above plus a couple of hours labour for fitting at some extortionate dealer rate.

The above damage isn't water ingress, something shorted somewhere, but yes, the box is riveted to the floor but it's on the inside not outside If water gets in there, you're gonna know about it as your feet will be wet
Old 09-09-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FreakyParts
Tried that route and all I got was "factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, no chance mate. Don't want anything to do with it. Take it back to Honda".
The H&P alarm was not factory fitted. It was fitted at the docks after the car was imported at the insistence of Honda UK.

The alarm is well known to be a POS and I can't believe people waste money replacing parts that will inevitably fail again .... it should be striped out and replaced with a reliable alarm.

(The cars came out of the factory with an immobilizer built into the ECU and had central locking that worked flawlessly)

Old 09-09-2015, 05:24 AM

In all fairness it's lasted 13 years now, I would hope the replacement unit lasts a similar length of time. Probably no different to an aftermarket setup without the added hassle of paying for someone to fit, different fobs etc
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all fairness it's lasted 13 years now, I would hope the replacement unit lasts a similar length of time. Probably no different to an aftermarket setup without the added hassle of paying for someone to fit, different fobs etc

I am happy with the decision I took to buy a new board. Mine is also 12 years old and cost £216 (fitted by myself, a complete numpty with a screwdriver) So if I get another 12 years it'll do me.

When I called a guy about replacing it he said they are a nightmare to get out and replace.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM
The H&P alarm was not factory fitted. It was fitted at the docks after the car was imported at the insistence of Honda UK. The alarm is well known to be a POS and I can't believe people waste money replacing parts that will inevitably fail again .... it should be striped out and replaced with a reliable alarm. (The cars came out of the factory with an immobilizer built into the ECU and had central locking that worked flawlessly)
Can you help us identify a more reliable alarm?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:12 AM

In all fairness it's lasted 13 years now.
How do you know that it has lasted 13 years? Have you had the car that long?

There have been endless problems with these alarms over the years, even on cars only a few years old.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by kw_21
Mine is also 12 years old.
See above.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:51 AM

well i've had my car since 2004 and never had a problem...but i've always been a minority case....

Quick Reply: Nothing Happens Pressing Start Button