UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Number plate spacing

Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Number plate spacing

I recently bought a private plate for the S, got a set of cheap plates made up off amazon. When the arrived they had no space between the first 2digits and the final 3 digits. They have the postcode and address stamp of the issue on the bottom (believe that is a legal requirement these days) but I’m wondering if I’m going to fail my mot this week with then on?

On the gov website it says a space is required but obviously the plates manufacturer has produced them this way and I didn’t think they would produce non legal plates. Any thoughts?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:07 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilslick
I recently bought a private plate for the S, got a set of cheap plates made up off amazon. When the arrived they had no space between the first 2digits and the final 3 digits. They have the postcode and address stamp of the issue on the bottom (believe that is a legal requirement these days) but I’m wondering if I’m going to fail my mot this week with then on?

On the gov website it says a space is required but obviously the plates manufacturer has produced them this way and I didn’t think they would produce non legal plates. Any thoughts?
They have probably supplied them as show plates that are not street legal, plod will have you! or at best you might fail your MOT, real bummer, you can probably get a refund and get some legal ones done for road use say at Halfrauds etc. although I would wait till we know if you are going to need the EU symbol or not. Plod has nothing better to do now than pull easy cash traffic issues, after all it's not as if there is any knife crime about is it?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

The machine I used for plates would flash up any errors I made, ie no spaces, as illegal, I’d get in touch with the suppliers and ask for the right plates.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by martin j
The machine I used for plates would flash up any errors I made, ie no spaces, as illegal, I’d get in touch with the suppliers and ask for the right plates.
so it is def illegal not to have a space then?

”s2xxx” vs “s2 xxx”

all thebother her spacing is fine, just that there is no gap between digit 2 and digit 3
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

i think you know the answer to that
Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
i think you know the answer to that
i didn’t, hence why I asked. Seeing as it passed the mot today I guess it is legal then. Suppose the number plate manufacturer wouldn’t have put their postcode/address on it if it wasn’t
Old 04-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i didn’t, hence why I asked. Seeing as it passed the mot today I guess it is legal then. Suppose the number plate manufacturer wouldn’t have put their postcode/address on it if it wasn’t
The chaps in blue won't give a monkey's even if you wave an MOT certificate in their faces if it isn't correctly spaced. Their view is you could have fitted it afterwards.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:53 PM

Unless you've just arrived from planet Zog ,

as far as the legality goes, (taken from DVLA)
The following rules should not be broken:
  1. Only the ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font is allowed
  2. Apart from the letter ‘I’ and the number ‘1’, characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide. The width of each character stroke must be 14mm and you must be able to measure 11mm between each character in the same grouping. Additionally, character groups must also be 33m apart.
  3. Front plates must have a white background with black characters and rear plates must have a yellow background with black characters.

but as we Know these days everyone interprets rules and laws in there own way so i guess you can do as you like your car your money
The following users liked this post:
earl's_f20c (04-04-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know about the legal world, but in my world "should not" is not considered mandatory, you can have exceptions, whereas "must not" is?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by mcrossley
I don't know about the legal world, but in my world "should not" is not considered mandatory, you can have exceptions, whereas "must not" is?
like i say everyone has there own interpretation of laws and legality ,

how about (dvla website)
Vehicle registration numbers must be correctly displayed on number plates as set out in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations (as appropriate). These regulations govern how vehicle registration number plates are designed, manufactured and displayed.

Quick Reply: Number plate spacing