UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Number Plates

Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number Plates

What other sizes/mounting points are people using for their number plates? The stock holder is quite ugly and I'm jealous of those in the US who can run without a front plate.

PS, this thread needs pics!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Going by the flag in your sig, you're in the US anyway.

I removed the surround, had a plate made up with m/cycle sized font and cut it down to minimum reflective area, I them mounted it using the exhisting holes for the surround I had removed. There are a lot of pics someplace if you search.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Painted on a grill
Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like Kermit....
Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM

The Mounting plate on mine has been removed and holes filled and I have a sticky 2/3rd size plate stuck in its place, looks 10 times better.

No pics to hand at the moment sorry
Old 04-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

So with the coppers cracking down on just about anything that is not 100% legit on plates, are folks just accepting the risk or is there another way round?

I do know of some Fezza owners that have letters from the DVLA saying that the car does not have a standard size number plate, but I don't know how they got them.

I would love to have smaller plates, as long as they are legit. I already have enough issues.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM

I think its just a case of taking a chance unfortunatly, Touch wood in over a year I havent had any grief about my front plate but then I think it doesnt look ridiculous, its smaller but the S is quite a small car so dont think it would stand out to a rozzer. A mate of mine had a front number plate on his impreza the size of a name badge and he got pulled left right and centre.

I think the only exception is with some Imported cars that have smaller recesses that cant physicaly fit the correct size number plate. I used to have an fto and the rear recess is smaller than a standard size numberplate, I had read up on the rules and this was ok, but i still had an argument with a copper one evening, he wouldnt accept that legal sized fonts literaly would not fit in the space provided, so hence they were slightly smaller, he was writing me a ticket at which point he got an emergency call and I got away with it.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

UK number plates are made larger than the required size, so it is possible to reduce the size to the legal minimum even using correct size font, it's all about having a friendly parts store if you're not up to a hacksaw job yourself.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM

I have 3/4 plate but all letters are correctly spaced and I have the GB badge on the left hand side so it looks more legal than it is. Saying that, and not wanting to tempt fate, I have yet to be pulled up on it.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM

in a nut shell...

basically if you dont like the look. dont run a front plate.
dont expect sympathy from the forum if your busted by the five 0

If you want a plate but smaller then it will still be illegal and again no sympathy either from the forum or five 0

if you have jdm you can run a legally run a bike size plate on the front which is 280 x 85mm or 63% uk size - again no sympathy as you have an inferior car and the five 0 are too ignorant to know better. You may be stopped frequently depending on your geographic location. You will also find it difficult to pass an mot unless you produce dvla legislation to prove validity.

I had to have a small plate to increase cooling for the supercharger but otherwise, really, I CBA with the hassle.

Quick Reply: Number Plates