UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

OEM vs Brakes International (Budweg) caliper refurb kits

Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM vs Brakes International (Budweg) caliper refurb kits

Hi folks,

Been doing some research on how best to fix my sticking rear caliper. OEM Honda kits appear to cost about £60 each in the UK but considerably less in the US. So I'm wondering whether to buy OEM from somewhere like the HardTopGuy in the US or to get the Budweg refurb kits from BrakesInternational, which are cheaper again. Has anyone tried the Budweg kits? I'd rather stick to OEM but the Budweg kits are easier to get hold of.

Also, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy new rear pistons from? Other than a main dealer obviously. I don't know what state mine are in yet, but planning for the worst. Car has done 40k, so hoping they're not that bad... fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A few months back I refurbished a pair of calipers using the Brakes International refurb kit. The piston seals were better quality than the ones I got installed on a refurbed caliper from Bigg Red.

Getting pistons in the UK is a pain in the ass, they are around $24 in the US but I couldn't find anyone that would ship them to the uk. Ended up getting them from Si at Hendy at more than twice the price.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
A few months back I refurbished a pair of calipers using the Brakes International refurb kit. The piston seals were better quality than the ones I got installed on a refurbed caliper from Bigg Red.

Getting pistons in the UK is a pain in the ass, they are around $24 in the US but I couldn't find anyone that would ship them to the uk. Ended up getting them from Si at Hendy at more than twice the price.
Try deft motion.

Always been very happy to help me with quotes and very interested in having some uk buisness
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM

The Budweg stuff is just OEM kit shot blasted and fitted with new seal kits. They do it cheaper than you can because... ahem... they're using East European labour.

I've got 4 Budweg calipers and they're withstood 2 years of competition, track days and testing.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:11 AM

18 months on and my brakes international calipers are still going strong.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are UK suppliers for the Honda seal kits for around £33 or so, rather than the £60 or so Honda want. Check the vendors.

Personally, I prefer the Honda kits. There is little to chose between the hydraulic seals. But the dust boots and slider pin boots I find the Honda ones more supple and better lasting.

Finally the Honda kits come with the correct grease for sliders, plus boots. Having the right type of grease on the sliders makes a nice difference.

-Brian.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the genuine kits in stock…

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/catalog...+genuine+honda
Old 10-27-2014, 01:12 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to check the condition of the pistons this week and decide which route to go after that. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Well, I checked the pistons and they look as good as new, virtually no rust or pitting. Moved in and out freely. Slider pins also move in and out freely. Put it all back together and went for a 20 min drive. Result was both fronts still stone cold, both rears still red hot. I don't get it. Also, freeing off the bleed nipples also had no effect either, so I don't think the problem is due to pressure built up in the system.

Is it possible for calipers to drag even though they're not seized?

I'm losing the will to live and getting fed up of spending money on my cars and bike, so the S2000 will probably sit in my garage until next summer now...
Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tegiwa Imports
We have the genuine kits in stock…

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/catalog...+genuine+honda
Do these kits come with Pistons?

Quick Reply: OEM vs Brakes International (Budweg) caliper refurb kits