UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Off the shelf S2000 Oil Cooler Kit locations

Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Off the shelf S2000 Oil Cooler Kit locations

Do any of the off the shelf oil cooler kits locate into the front bumper below the head light or are they all located in front of the radiator?

Also what is the ideal hose and oil cooler sizes? From my searches it seems most are running AN-10 and maybe a 19Row?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve
Old 06-20-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just installed a custom (bought all parts separately) oil cooler as I was seeing temps on track quickly hit 130 deg after 10-15 minutes measured in the sump. I chose a 19 row 235mm mocal with -10 lines 80 deg thermostatic plate and mounted in the usual place. I have a Innovate oil/temp gauge and can't see any noticeable pressure drop, so the -10 and cooler size seems a good choice. Temp wise, on a recent Anglesey track day my oil temp didn't exceed 110 deg, however I also had a temp drop running on the street (sitting around 70 deg on the motorway vs 85-90 before) so fitted a removable cover to the cooler for road use.

So depending on your car use, you could get away with the smaller 19 row cooler in below the headlight location if space is tight

Regards Sion

Last edited by SionBurchill; 06-20-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add content
Old 06-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Ok so you managed to drop temperatures to 70 even though the sandwich plate doesn't open till 80?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

All my temp readings are from the sump so will be cooler than at the plate, the temp differences before/after are of more use showing the effectiveness. Also the thermostatic plate is fully open at 80 deg and does not start to open at 80. It will still allow oil flow to the cooler from a cold start due to the design.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Sandwich plate thermostat doesnt work like a normal thermostat.

It allows oil to always flow through the cooler even when its not up to temperature. On cars like the S2000 with high oil flow rates the amount of oil it allows through the cooler is still enough to allow it to overcool if you aren't working the engine hard. It works like that because otherwise the oil cooler could suffer from thermal shock if the oil cooler suddenly shut and forced lots of hot oil against the cold oil that would be stuck in the cooler.

When the car is cold the thermostat is fully open( causing most but not all oil to bypass the oil cooler) and when the oil warms up the thermostat closes inside the sandwich plate and forces all of the oil through the oil cooler. I guess its the best mocal could do. I have a higher temperature thermostat in mine which is available from mocal. I have also retained the OEM cooler donut so that in theory i shouldn't be able to over cool the oil.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought all my parts from demon tweeks and i see temperatures sit around 70 degrees also from the sump.
On track in the wet at cadwell it took some going to get it to go above 90 degrees. I have read that sump temperatures tend to be at least 10 degrees if not more below what is running through the actual engine.
I believe i have an 80 degree thermostat in my sandwich plate, which one are you running mark? I too kept my heat exchanger so the oil warms up quicker.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 AM

Think ill buy all the parts separately for mine aswell. Are you all running 19row coolers?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

yup
Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

For some reason 90c rings a bell but its ages since i purchased it. I got it via thinkauto who are pretty much the gurus with anything oil cooler related. Very helpful as well.

I have had success with the socketless/pushfit hoses. Aslong as you fit them properly and use the correct fittings you should have no issues. I have had no leaks from the push fits i have used and its alot easier than using the other types of fitting. I opted for the steel fittings as i find the AN style aluminium fittings leak far more than a good old BSP fitting. AN is just all about the bling imo
Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 PM

Have either of you removed the oem water/oil cooler when you fit the uprated oil cooler? How tight is it with fitting the filter. Seen some have removed the oem cooler when uprating.

Quick Reply: Off the shelf S2000 Oil Cooler Kit locations