UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oh the irony

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1439937415' post='23718680
Better to be ironic than dumb....

Rotas are manufactured to a standard and have quality control. They are good wheels at a good price.

What you don't want is a wheel that claims it's a quality controlled Rota, when it hasn't been cast correctly and not quality controlled.

Then your wheel breaks and you get people slating Rotas when it isn't even a Rota wheel.

And then internet morons jump on it because they are like sheep and can't think for themselves.
How do you know what standard they are manufactured to and what level of QC is undertaken?

How do you know what corners the manufacturer is prepared to cut?

Afterall, they are prepared to cut corners in the design by copying others....

Naive; dumb; moronic?

Chris.
I have no idea of what standard they are made to, but that's not what I said. I said they were made to a standard and that there is quality control.

The same can be said about OZ, Volk, Mugen, or anyone else who makes wheels.

But you somehow think that by paying £1000 per wheel nets you some sort of quality guarantee when it doesn't.

As for 'copying' who cares!

Good artists copy and great artists steal.

It's a wheel ATEOTD - how many different designs can you actually get before someone accuses someone else of copying?

Enkei's RP03 looks almost idential to Volks G50

The OZ Sparco Pro Corsa looks identical to the BBS CH-R

And then lets move onto Formula 1 - the pinnacle of cars. They are ALL trying to copy each other and no one cares.

The problem arises when someone puts your name on something you didn't do.

In this case Rota are having their name on wheels they didn't sign off on.

All these TV Chef's give away their recipes for you to copy, but if you opened a Restaurant saying 'Food by Gordon Ramsey' and he isn't cooking it, I think he might have something to say about it.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:26 PM

Oh and this thread is in the wrong forum since it has f uck all to do with S2000s.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:39 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by chrisr111' timestamp='1440005736' post='23719589
[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1439937415' post='23718680']
Better to be ironic than dumb....

Rotas are manufactured to a standard and have quality control. They are good wheels at a good price.

What you don't want is a wheel that claims it's a quality controlled Rota, when it hasn't been cast correctly and not quality controlled.

Then your wheel breaks and you get people slating Rotas when it isn't even a Rota wheel.

And then internet morons jump on it because they are like sheep and can't think for themselves.
How do you know what standard they are manufactured to and what level of QC is undertaken?

How do you know what corners the manufacturer is prepared to cut?

Afterall, they are prepared to cut corners in the design by copying others....

Naive; dumb; moronic?

Chris.
I have no idea of what standard they are made to, but that's not what I said. I said they were made to a standard and that there is quality control.

The same can be said about OZ, Volk, Mugen, or anyone else who makes wheels.

But you somehow think that by paying £1000 per wheel nets you some sort of quality guarantee when it doesn't.

As for 'copying' who cares!

Good artists copy and great artists steal.

It's a wheel ATEOTD - how many different designs can you actually get before someone accuses someone else of copying?

Enkei's RP03 looks almost idential to Volks G50

The OZ Sparco Pro Corsa looks identical to the BBS CH-R

And then lets move onto Formula 1 - the pinnacle of cars. They are ALL trying to copy each other and no one cares.

The problem arises when someone puts your name on something you didn't do.

In this case Rota are having their name on wheels they didn't sign off on.

All these TV Chef's give away their recipes for you to copy, but if you opened a Restaurant saying 'Food by Gordon Ramsey' and he isn't cooking it, I think he might have something to say about it.
[/quote]

Funny you should mention F1, 'the pinnacle of cars' - I don't see any of them using Rota wheels, but I have seen Rays, BBS and Enkei.....

and for the record I never mentioned anything about money or any other brand, until now.

Chris.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:42 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Oh and this thread is in the wrong forum since it has f uck all to do with S2000s.

I disagree

People on this forum have a tendency to fit these wheels to S2000s

I deliberately posted in this forum for their information

Chris.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They may cut corners here and there but so does every other company in the world some way or another.

The fact of the matter is that someone is making wheels and sticking Rota's name on them, making them look as if they are Rotas and they aren't.

Rota are just making you aware of that fact.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you cut corners on a wheel?

Ooo ooo ooo, I know. It's by steering thru the apex. I got it
Old 08-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
How do you cut corners on a wheel? Ooo ooo ooo, I know. It's by steering thru the apex. I got it
Haha. Nice!
Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd have TD Pro Race 1.2 for mine if they made an offset that fit.

But then that assumes that any of this makes an appreciable difference to any of us when only one person here is a racing driver and even then. it's wheel weight along with a load of other variables.

Do they look good, do they fit, are they light. will they make my car handle better, are they better than OEM - listed in order of forum owner interest.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Funny you should mention F1, 'the pinnacle of cars' - I don't see any of them using Rota wheels, but I have seen Rays, BBS and Enkei.....

Chris.
I don't see a lot of things in F1, but that doesn't mean anything. The only reason I mentioned F1 is because if copying is acceptable there, it's acceptable everywhere.

But a road car isn't an F1 car. So if we were to assume that Rays F1 engineering goes into their road wheels, they'd only last 500 miles before they had to be recycled?

I drove my S2000 extremely hard. It had Rotas on it. The Rotas are still round and in one piece. Beyond that, I couldn't really care. If a company is selling a non quality controlled wheel, then it becomes dangerous. And if they are masking as Rota, it's deformation.

The only way a Rota is dangerous is if you have an ego and someone mistakes your Rays wheel for a Rota.

This would then force the reply of 'No, actually, Rota's are a copy of these wheels' to which the person asking the question doesn't care
Old 08-20-2015, 05:42 AM
UK Moderator

whatever

Chris.