UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil Analysis

Old 10-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Analysis

I've been thinking about the longevity of the S engine now it has been supercharged for 4k miles.
It only has 16k miles on it so I've been thinking about what I can do to make sure it lasts as long as Modifrys engine did with a supercharger fitted (167k miles !)

I'm going to do oil changes every six months and thought it would be useful to build up some data on the oil & engine condition by getting it tested every time.

I know several of the US FI guys do this and it reveals alot about the engine as well as the oil.

Can any one recommend a UK supplier.
I've found this one but I've no idea if they are any good.

http://www.oilanalysis.org.uk/

I want to pick a trusted lab and use them every time so I collect good reliable data each time and get the same test from the same equipment.
Any idea on prices?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:37 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mikey, if you send me some I can get it sorted.

I think its a bit OTT on a car though...

Tribologly is two fold, one for debris analysis, and one for oil condition. Its the sort of thing you do on a gas turbine, not so much a road car.

Its a complex subject, and its the sort of thing which needs trending, and you need to know what you are looking at.

Typical analysis will tell you oil viscosity, acidity, additive level (phosphorus) etc, and it will also tell you what you are getting in terms of ppm of wear metals.

But what are you going to do if you see an increasing wear trend, for example?

Are you going to pull the engine based on the results, or do you continue? What are the cut off points? I'm just provoking some thoughts!

Its the sort of thing a machinery engineer does day to day, and we have to tie it in with vibration readings and other stuff to make decisions.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only reason the yanks do it is so they have something to 'discuss' on here. The rest of us stop worrying and are out enjoying the drive...
Old 10-14-2007, 03:06 AM

Mark I know exactly where you are coming from we also use on large air compressor to determine overhaul and preventative maintenance work.
Trending as you say is absolutely essential.
I wouldn't normally consider it on a car but with the nature of the F20C engine and the fact it will be running ~400 bhp on sotck internal I consider it a good early warning indicator along with the logging from the ECU
Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't see anything about the engine. Just how the oil is coping
Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM

So what's your mileage likely to be in six month intervals?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 PM

We used to cut the oil filter open and inspect the dirty side of the filter material its a quick way to see if you are wearing metal away and what type of metal is wearing. I think you can buy a tool for cutting the base of the canister its basicaly a heavy duty can opener.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Si2K - not sure I agree with that, it certainly helps us with our compression sets at work

Mark - I reckon on ~4k miles in six months

oxhouser - nice idea
Old 10-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Oct 15 2007, 05:45 PM
Si2K - not sure I agree with that, it certainly helps us with our compression sets at work
What are you going to compare too?

What is going to be normal wear and what is going to be abnomal?

You will get an idea of the oil's life and when additives are depleted, if it is soot loaded, if it has fuel contamination. But without a large supporting data set with stripped down engine ratings you won't get that much info from any oil samples.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Only way to build that data set is start analysing samples and set a baseline.

Quick Reply: Oil Analysis