UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil Burn

Old 08-21-2001, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Burn

I've done nearly 700 miles in the new Stook and noticed the oil level near the bottom of the indicator. I know they are supposed to burn some oil in the early days but 1.5 litres in 700ish miles - is this normal? Can anyone recommend a good top up oil? The Honda garage wanted to put in some stock rubbish that they use in Civics and other sensible cars. Comments please ladies and gentlemen.

Old 08-21-2001, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not unduly heavy. You must check your oil regularly. Mine used oil heavily up till about the first service. It hardly uses any at all now. Remember as well that VTEC is totally dependant for it's performance on your oil level being up to the mark. The mechanism that brings in your VTEC cam lobes is oil operated. It is also generally accepted that Honda put a special 'break in' oil in the new S2000's. You are not advised to change to fully synthetic oil till after your first service. I changed at 6000 miles to Mobil 1 and have used it since. You will find opinions divided on this board about what is the best oil to use eventually, .but at the stage you are now, your engine will use oil whatever you put in it! I would take the view that your Honda dealer should know what to advise for now (mirthful laughter from the gallery)At least if you follow their advice at this stage, it's ammo if anything goes wrong under warranty. At the risk of labouring the point, at the stage you are now you can't check the oil often enough. 700 miles is far too long Have a look in FAQ's and do a search on oil. You'll find loads of threads on the subject.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:02 PM

I remember checking mine at 1500 and finding exactly the same, 1.5L for 700 does seem a little bit high but this engine will burn a lot of oil during run-in particuarly if you live in the VTEC zone.

I've gone through about 4.5L in 6000 miles. I'm using GTX Magnatec but only because Its not synthetic but a good grade oil. When I've had the 7500 mile service I'll probably switch to Mobil 1 synthetic. Any good quality oil should be ok. If you use the search facility on the site you'll find stacks of posts on oil consumption.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:45 PM

mmmm.. reminds me, I should check my oil levels....
Old 08-21-2001, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by N-a-$-t-Y
mmmm.. reminds me, I should check my oil levels....
Don't forget the more topped up you are the better it VTECs!!
Old 08-21-2001, 01:03 PM

Mine used the same amount of oil from new. Should settle down at about 7k miles. As the man said, if its burning oil, then its getting in the right places!
Old 08-21-2001, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KXKEman
[B]Mine used the same amount of oil from new.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:39 PM

I'm at 4000 miles now and it seems to have bedded in nicely.
I have been topping up with Mobil1 as advised by my dealer.

Old 08-21-2001, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been some research into this. The reason for S2k's burning more oil than normal Vtec's during run in is due to the construction of the block. It's fibre reinforced aluminium, which is very strong and light, but it's requiring longer for the pistol rings to get a perfect seal.

The concensus is that the break in oil is very high in molybdenum - the idea being that this fills in the very tiny scratches in the bore to provide a good seal for the piston rings. So the high oil consumption is oil getting past the piston ring and bruning off - but this is what you want, as over time the seal will settle.

Keep your oil topped up and comsuption should drop off to pretty much zero by your first service, if not long before. Do take care not to over fill though - Vtec runs off oil pressure, but overfilling can be very dangerous for the engine.

As to the exact oil to put in.... nobody seems to have a definitive answer. Certainly it's a bad idea to change to fully synthetic oil until the engine has bedded in (at least 7,000 miles seems to be the concensus), but for top up? I don't think it's going to matter as the percentage of new oil should still be pretty low.

-Brian.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:15 AM

Cedric

I run an E Type 4.2 FHC which does about 500 miles per pint of oil after 200,000 miles - should be run in by now. It also leaks about a pint every 500 miles, so topping up has become habitual.

I change the Honda oil and filter every 4,500 miles as the engine is very high revving unlike the jaguar which rarely sees 5k revs.

Quick Reply: Oil Burn