UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil Change - Filter stuck

Old 08-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I dont have much experiance with this and thats why im having a go, everyone must start somewhere.

I at least when I have finished I knew exactly how the job was done. I have been to many mechanics who have done oil changes for me and 9 times out of 10 the oil is well overfilled afterwards.

If I do it myself I can be sure the filter is good, the oil is good and everything has been torqued to the right settings.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, this will all go a lot smoother tomorrow. Taking the oil filter off is my only sticking point at the moment.

Cheers again for the advise, just to 100% sure after I have finished I might pop to my local garage and just ask them to check the filter is on tight enough.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, despite what the manual says, you will find the engine will use 5.5 litres for an oil change.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of those with the rubber bit on the inside, and it's a complete waste of time. There's another one from Halfords with a steel band that you tighten up with a knob on the handle. That's the only one I found that works for getting them off, and more importantly for tightening up again (though presumably the Honda ones do if you can get one).
Old 08-24-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've got a heavy duty strap one... it never slips just keeps getting tighter so much so it will start to crush the filter!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by TINTOP,Aug 24 2007, 08:58 PM
Not wanting to put a dampner on your oil changing efforts ! but this is exactly why machanics exist (yes i used to be one) and it frightens me that you are prepared to carry out such a task with clearly little experience.
Your oil is probably the most important aspect of your car maintenence, I hope you get it sorted tomorrow.
Yes a screwdriver through the side is usually the way for stuborn filters.
When you re-fit the filter and fill up with oil, turn the engine over a few times then let it settle and check the oil level again. It will have gone down slightly (into the filter) and will need a small top up, dont over fill . Good luck
Everyones got to start somewhere, theres only one way to gain experience and it's not by paying someone else to do it.

I've never had a mEchanic touch my car since brand new, all work is done by myself to a lot higher standard than Honda.

Goodluck Rob i'm sure you'll sort it

Rick
Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by TINTOP,Aug 24 2007, 08:59 PM
Ok Mechanics !!
Yes cause only mechanics know how to do an oil filter change ?

Make sure you tighten it up properly when you fit the new one, hand tight isn't enough and you don't want it rattling off.

if you do screwdriver it mak sure you dont damage the thread or sealing face of the filter.

Good luck
Old 08-25-2007, 02:46 AM

I've got a filter wrench that is a chain (like from a push bike) thea latches onto a hook. Very effective. Try and get one.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will find the best "filter wrench" for the S2K at:

http://www.hondaspares.com/newparts/detail...p?prodID=100528

(80mm & 15 flute pt no OFW80).

Good service from Hondaspares too.

Also, make sure you buy the correct oil filter that looks like the one in the picture below (you should be able to make out the part number from the pic). Most Honda dealers that I have dealt with (including ones that have serviced the car) like to sell you/fit the "generic Honda filter" and not the one that is designed for the car. (Benefit of servicing it yourself = doing it properly ). The picture shows the correct S2K filter above the "generic one" (that was fitted during a "Honda dealer service" and that I changed for the correct one - one bill to get the service book stamp and another to get the job done properly ).

Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by rallycol,Aug 24 2007, 08:30 PM
Wedge something inbetween the strap and the filter, like an extension bar,try another type of wrench ,if not wack a screwdriver through the filter and lever off,and last of all use a hammer and chisel but be careful tap the lip of the filter around near to were it seals onto to engine!
I'd think twice before boith this. I did it years ago and when a turned the screwdriver it just sheared the canister off and left the threaded portion on the engine.

Personally I use a strap wrench. (Bit of high friction nylon webbing on a half inch square drive). It's always worked for me.

The reason it's stuck is that (a) it was done up too tightly and (b) somebody probably forgot to oil the seal.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:26 AM

Ok, all done now and I am happy with the results.

Finally got the old filter off, was fairly easy in the end, I put some sandpaper between the rubber bit on my wrench and the filter to increase the grip.

I installed the new filter and could just turn it the recommended amount by hand and then gave it a bit of a tweak with the filter wrench and was able to turn it about 0.5 a number more then stated on the filter. Hopefully this isnt too tight but tight enough.

Oil plug back in fine and torqued up nice and easly to correct torque, oil in, run engine for 5 mins, check and top up oil (it dropped about 200ml's).

Just been out for a run and it does feel smoother, could just be me.... Changed from whatever oil Honda put in 4k miles ago on a 10w40 to Motul 300V 5w40. No drips or leaks, fingers crossed there wont be, I will keep an eye on it for the next few days and also on the oil level.

Cheers again for your help guys.

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Filter stuck