UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil change without Oil filter change?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Si2k
I use a screwdriver punched through the filter to tighten mine. Only a loser would hand tighten

EDIT I wish I could get the hang of multi quotes.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

WHO CALIBRATES THE CALIBRATION EQUIPMENT ?

I KNOW I KNOW !
Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Middlesbrough' timestamp='1387467002' post='22930141
and.... submarines!! Only stupidity would not see the slight disadvantage of downtime and cost to the huge advantages.
Yes submarines!! as you put it I'm sure Loftust will back me up on that one, the amount of waste the MOD inflicts upon itself and the tax payer is nothing short of criminal.
You are correct - for all types of platform - hideously expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Middlesbrough
Originally Posted by fluffyninja' timestamp='1387234146' post='22925590
Nope, we're subtlety different.
You know you can tighten enough that in your experience it won't come loose.
I know I can tighten to pretty much hit the top end spec of the filter tightening as set by Honda.
That isn't enough difference to make a differance to me. So as far as im concerned you agree with me But to make you feel better, i'll say I agree with you
Originally Posted by fluffyninja
Fine, I'm not expecting a cv to be posted on here but you're hardly improving the level of your case by getting wound up and starting to take the pi$$ out of people who're disagreeing with your point of view.
No one is getting wound up this is a forum buddy just relax..
Originally Posted by fluffyninja
So in your experience (not on automotive applications) of oil filters (with a history of problems) you are making comments that would encourage people without your level of experience (in an area outside your own expertise) to tighten by hand (everybody can hit hand tight so why wouldn't they be confident, they've tightened by hand so by definition it is hand tight).
In response to the above quote - Please read before posting in future see below.

Originally Posted by Middlesbrough
I don't want to sway anyone into replicating me. It's not something you can be told and just do! It's a feel for your work that you will only achieve through doing that task or tasks of similar nature.

If someone doesn't hand tighten there filter it's because they don't feel confident it would be torqued correctly. I however, DO feel confident!
Apologies for the delay in reply. Ironically because I've been busy supervising installation of an engine assembly line (ok, exaggeration. Two robots into an engine assembly line but you get the point)

I think we both agree that it is possible to hand tighten and get a sufficient quality joint to be confident that it will be ok. The problem I have is the tone of your post encourages people to do it without sufficient experience. It is awfully easy to be over confident when you say "just hand tighten it". Go back to I think your first post, #41 I think, and you say best to hand tighten because if you don't you'll over tighten. What I think you mean is that it can be better to hand tighten because you'll be more likely to feel a trapped seal if you do. However you'll only feel that if you've trapped one and realised what it was at the time (or been trained what it feels like). This was the comment that kicked off the whole side discussion and went off on a tangent about the OPs query about changing oil without the filter.

My point was that you can do it by hand but it isn't as simple as just thinking you can. I want to make people pause and think "ok I have to have this level of understanding before I give it a go". Hence the point about having measured my hand tightening strength and the additional precautions I take against doing the job in a way that inherently increases the risk of significant engine damage. A trapped and leaking seal isn't great but is an inconvenience. A dumped filter is a wrecked engine and potentially a fire.

To be fair I missed your comment about "I don't want to sway anyone into replicating me" but again that's the point. The tone of your posts does encourage it. Go back to Noodles posts and he is following your lead. Again, I don't know the guy and he hasn't posted up a cv but if you're a novice grease monkey and see this thread then you start to go ahhhh paranoid nannys I'll do it by hand after reading those kind of posts You and I know that if you don't do it right you trap the seal or it works loose and blow the engine but they may not know these dangers. Hence the tone of my posts being contrary to yours
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Yep all your doing

So after the above risks with loose filters ect.
Have put a length of exhaust heat wrap round the filter to stop high manifold heat/temp fatigue,also its over filter too filter housing to stop the Potential oil spray,strapped it up to stop vibration unwind.

But will keep an eye on it for leaking
ok ok !! my filter was loose,so not heat related but more of a seal issue i guess
got to have a re-think

sorry to drag this up again
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Here Here well said ^^^^^Middlesbrough prob done about 500 oil/filter changes in my years, and not one fail all done by hand too,on N/A and turbo performance cars

Yet!
HAMP Synergy are aftermarket products designed by Honda and are a step up from the "Honda Original Parts" products. These are the SHORTIE versions as used by some of top Japanese race teams such as Spoon. They are known for increasing oil pressure by 3-4psi. The HAMP oil filter can be used on any Honda, but was specifically designed for use with the VTEC and iVTEC cars in mind. Features include a unique release valve that dynamically adjusts to the conditions within the filter to keep the oil flow and pressure constant. The HAMP oil filter will last longer and filter better than any of the oil filters currently on the market.
thats good enuff for me

Originally Posted by noodels' timestamp='1387038836' post='22922576
Yep all your doing

So after the above risks with loose filters ect.
Have put a length of exhaust heat wrap round the filter to stop high manifold heat/temp fatigue,also its over filter too filter housing to stop the Potential oil spray,strapped it up to stop vibration unwind.

But will keep an eye on it for leaking
ok ok !! my filter was loose,so not heat related but more of a seal issue i guess
got to have a re-think

sorry to drag this up again

Did you get rid of your shortie and fit the S2000 spec filter correctly as recommended,,in your other post you do know what the "unique release valve" is referring to
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Hamp is still on atm not looked into the valve on the Hamp just gone by what they advertize,
just pasted it from the advert spec
you gonna tell us then