UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Halfords MOT experience

Old 09-25-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A Halfords MOT experience

I've had a total of 12 MOTs with various stations since i've had this car. Before today i had only one fail (at Halfords) for wiper blades.

This afternoon, despite having covered less than 500 miles in the last year, i was failed again. This time on 'Brake Fluid Contaminated [1.8(a)]' and "excessive movement" in my parking brake lever indicating incorrect adjustment [1.16(c)].

Apparently, they are not supposed to remove reservoir caps but the helpful assistant told me i may have used a non-standard brake fluid. Actually, i used Super Blue racing DOT4 when i routinely bled the brakes about 5 years ago and to be fair to Halfords, the tin does state not for cars used on the public highway. However, no tester has ever picked up on this before and i'm guessing that i'm not the only one here who is using it.

On checking my handbrake, i find that however hard i try i cannot pull it up more than 11 notches. It feels exactly the same to me as it has for the past 12 years and is coincidentally exactly mid-way in the range specified here.

Luckily, i had taken advantage of Halfords' free MOT offer so i'm only out an hour of my time but i'm glad i didn't pay for it. I thought my experience might be of interest to others here and would be pleased for any comments or advice.

And is there any DOT 4 brake Fluid (apart from Super Blue) that i shouldn't use?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just so you know, if your car has failed an MOT it is not road legal until you've rectified the faults and had it retested, even if the previous MOT has not time expired.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Just so you know, if your car has failed an MOT it is not road legal until you've rectified the faults and had it retested, even if the previous MOT has not time expired.
According to the gov.uk website:

"You can take your vehicle away if:
your current MOT certificate is still valid
no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive."

The failures were listed as 'major' rather than 'dangerous'; i would have thought if it is legal to drive it away it's legal to drive until the current MOT expires?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Best thing to do is take it to a VOSA test centre, for a proper test. If they give it the all clear you can "have a word" with the Halfords service manager/head office and report them for attempting to raise revenue by falsely declaring faults. VOSA would come down like a ton of bricks.
How else would Halfords be able to recoup the money they aren't charging for the MOT?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:11 AM

I must admit i did think at first that it was a ramp, but on the question of the brake fluid, it does actually appear they may be strictly correct because the colour does not conform. And i guess it won't hurt to bleed the system as it's been a few years.

Yes, they are hoping to make money from rectifying faults, but that's true of every discount MOT centre and i've used them successfully many times before, because my car does such tiny mileage and is well maintained.

I'm not sure about spending £55 with VOSA so i can insist Halfords refund me my fee :-)

I'm inclined to flush the brake fluid (if i can find a suitable one) and return for a retest - which i think is £17.50 - armed with a copy of the drawings that AquilaEagle posted, assuming they are from the official workshop manual.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I used hellfrauds for MOT 2013-16 and they listed these advisories

2013, 14 and 15: Nearside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3), Offside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)

2014: unable to see rear inner pads

2015: wiring under steering columb insecure and inadequately supported ,but NOT likely to become damaged. both number plate lights slightly dim.

2016: Offside Rear wheel some bind when wheel rotated,slight squeal as well, some corrosion starting in chassis and front and rear suspension, exhaust system some corrosion

I ignored all these and then used Honda in 2017 and 18. They did not issue any of these advisories - in fact no issues in either year. Considering trading standards if I can be bothered.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might just be the branch you've used - for various car (but never took the S2000 to be fair) I've had one rear no. plate light bulb failed - replaced for £5 by them.. Renault Clio 182

And advisory of tyre walls and brake pipes rusting. - Nissan PIXO - Tyres were 7 years old and had done 16,000 miles in all that time, tyres replaced, pipes were wire brushed and greased and passed MOT following year on both accounts

No advisories on Golf Mk4 or AUDI A4 ~ 6 MOTs between them at same branch

I think about 12 / 13 MOT's in 7 years for various cars - always sold used ones with 12+ months MOT on..all £29.99 or less over the years...
Old 09-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m a tester, I wouldn’t have failed it on the brake fluid and wouldn’t fail it on the park brake unless it goes all the way to the top of its travel.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

That's a bugger on the brake fluid but 5 years is a bit yonky, should be done every 36m

11 is close to the service manual limit I believe?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

How can they tell brake fluid is contaminated, you need a moisture probe for that, and they shouldn't be taking the cap off? quick cure is get a pair of those sock thingies to put over your master reservoirs, I bet Halfords sell them!

As Nottm pointed out 11 is close to the limit, but the MOT is a snapshot so close or not it isn't a fail.

"I'm not sure about spending £55 with VOSA so i can insist Halfords refund me my fee :-)" True but it would show them up as a bunch of crooks, and if you were bothered you could get the cash back from Halfords through the small claims court.

Quick Reply: A Halfords MOT experience