UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oil sump change issue

Old 12-10-2013, 02:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil sump change issue

Hey peeps, i was swaping sumps (baffled on one that i wanted) and when i was doing the second one noticed one of the dowel pins had stuck in the sump and not the block like the other one so it is missing on the one i had swapped. It is the one on the front of the sump. I have no problem taking it off again, its just time tbh as i haven't put any oil in it. Just wondering if it matters or not?

The dowel pin is number 18 on the pic below but for some reason it doesn't show the second one. You can see the hole it sits into just in front of bolt numbered 20 though.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Put the dowel in the new sump - do you really want the gasket weeping oil, like some old British POS?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per the sticker my wife put on the back of her MX5..

It's not leaking oil, it's sweating power.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

They had a button one could press to drop oil on the drive, for the proper old British sports car nostalgia.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a ring pin not a dowel. Can't see anything that the accuracy would affect the seal.
That said get a tin of degreaser/solvent and clean, clean and clean again all surfaces.
Any oil on sealant surfaces will stop the bond of the liquid sealant sticking to the surface and give you a weeping seal
Old 12-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Just out of interest is it difficult to change the sump using axle stands?

Is it a case of undoing all the bolts off prying the sump clear from the block and then fitting new sump (fitting a baffled ballade sports item). From the parts catalogue i see no sign of a rubber gasket which is a relief because my old integra pissed oil out of the sump even when new gaskets were fitted, the steel was so thin for the sump pan that it warped and bent over the years.

Had no problems with other cars that used a gasket sealant between the two joints so i was pretty glad to see that this is how the S2000 works. Im fitting a baffled sump as im going up to a more track orientated tyre and want abit of extra piece of mind.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ya its easy enough to do on axle stands, putting it back on is annoying without touching anything. There is 2 levering points on the sump especially for prying it off.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
From the parts catalogue i see no sign of a rubber gasket which is a relief because my old integra pissed oil out of the sump even when new gaskets were fitted, the steel was so thin for the sump pan that it warped and bent over the years.

Had no problems with other cars that used a gasket sealant between the two joints so i was pretty glad to see that this is how the S2000 works. Im fitting a baffled sump as im going up to a more track orientated tyre and want abit of extra piece of mind.
Problem is with a head of oil behind it even a light scratch when you a rubber seal. That's because the rubber seal has a minimum radius it can curve around so a scratch with a sharp edge will find it difficult to seal. Form in place gasket (liquid gasket) can seal that type of scratch no problem. That makes it popular amongst a few other reasons for aluminium engines where surfaces are scratched easily. The down side is if there is oil on any surface it prevents the rubber bonding to the surface. Without that bond the oil can pass along the joint creating a leak. Hence the warning about degreasing, degreasing and degreasing again the sealing joint.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fluffyninja
Originally Posted by markforrester99' timestamp='1388246643' post='22940854
From the parts catalogue i see no sign of a rubber gasket which is a relief because my old integra pissed oil out of the sump even when new gaskets were fitted, the steel was so thin for the sump pan that it warped and bent over the years.

Problem is with a head of oil behind it even a light scratch when you a rubber seal. That's because the rubber seal has a minimum radius it can curve around so a scratch with a sharp edge will find it difficult to seal. Form in place gasket (liquid gasket) can seal that type of scratch no problem. That makes it popular amongst a few other reasons for aluminium engines where surfaces are scratched easily. The down side is if there is oil on any surface it prevents the rubber bonding to the surface. Without that bond the oil can pass along the joint creating a leak. Hence the warning about degreasing, degreasing and degreasing again the sealing joint.
The Integra's / b-series sump design was stupid to be honest, you had a gasket with holes along it for the bolts to go through and then you had another set of holes for the dimples on the pan itself. Why they didnt use a flat machine pan is anyones guess. It made assembly a nightmare and if the pan was warped which it normally was then it would leak and the gasket was free to move around.

Glad the S2000's sump is the same as the Rover's k-series engine as it makes removal and re installation a doodle!