UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: OK time for the Hardtop?
It's already on!
28.57%
Now, too chilly
9.52%
First sign of frost / snow
7.14%
When the clocks go back
7.14%
Never, don't own one / I'm too tough
47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

OK time for the Hardtop?

Old 10-15-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK time for the Hardtop?

I think we've all experienced some 'inclement' weather over the last few days, so regrettably my thoughts are turning to the question of Hardtop, to put the winter gear on or wait?

Chances are if I get the top out of storage, all tucked up in it's bespoke cover on Mr Honda's trendy stand, but in another garage 20 miles away, then we will have a dry sunny winter.

So those of you with a hardtop, is now the time?
Old 10-15-2002, 02:17 PM

I don't have a hardtop (yet) but, if I did, I think it would be going on right about now given the awful autumnal weather this week has brought........
Old 10-15-2002, 09:46 PM

Collected the car 21 Dec last year - and the hardtop stayed on until April.
So I missed all those bright clear days.
This year - with the hoist - it will be on and off like the proverbial w****'s d*****s.

Did 270+ miles in the rain yesterday - hardtop off - while being v conscious of SO2's and wet - what a difference a summer with the car makes to the comfort factor.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:57 PM

Just voted for 'Never' ! as I would never get one. As our Waltham friend experienced, you just might regret having it !
Old 10-15-2002, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whilst I have flirted with the idea of getting a hardtop, I can honestly say, after 19 mouths of S2000 ownership not a week has passed when I have not had the top down (holidays / business trips away excepted).

Indeed, I drove the 24 miles to work this morning top down - bracing! As a nice bonus, I amassed a fine collection of autumn leaves in the car
Old 10-16-2002, 12:11 AM

We managed for 3 years in an MX-5 without a hard top, the S2000 has better wind protection and a better heater so we won't be getting a hard top for this car either....

You're all a bunch of big girls blouses
Old 10-16-2002, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by graybloke
Chances are if I get the top out of storage, all tucked up in it's bespoke cover on Mr Honda's trendy stand, but in another garage 20 miles away, then we will have a dry sunny winter.
Go on Nick, stick your hardtop on, thus guaranteeing top-down weather for the hardtop-less of us
Old 10-16-2002, 12:28 AM

Mine will be going on as soon as it's rdy enough to stow the soft-top, which at this rate will be next year!!!!!!!!!

Matt555
Old 10-16-2002, 12:33 AM

At last night's Pennine Micro-meet 2 of 3 cars had their tin lids on. My excuse is that I needed to put it on the car to move house and the garage is still too messed up to risk taking it off again! (Nice and snug and toasty with it on though )

Tif
Old 10-16-2002, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that appeals about the hard top for me is the large rear window for good visibility on those cold wet nasty mornings. That apart, I don't see the point at all, beyond the fact that the car does look pretty cool with it on. It also adds about 45lbs (IIRC) to the weight of the car! I'd prefer to lighten it please.. not make it heavier! The heated rear window which comes with it seems superfluous to requirements, as I find the air con quickly gets rid of any internal condensation anyway.

My soft top has never let one drop of water through despite being out in some awful downpours. Hand on heart... I have considered the idea, but when I think of being stuck with it when I could otherwise drop the top, the storage problems, but most of all.... what else I could buy for the car for about

Quick Reply: OK time for the Hardtop?