UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The old chestnut again!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outtametree,Jan 5 2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks for picking up on my typo, no-one else would have. It allows your obvious jovial nature to shine through.

Back on topic, Fatbloke, what tyres are you leaning towards?
I'll probably go with gt750boy's supremely useful and valued advice and get round ones.

Ideally, I'd like Eagle Asymmetrics, but my unsympathetic driving style and geo set-up favours tyres I can swap side to side half way through their life (current potenzas have lasted 5500 miles even with the swap). The Yokohama's sound great, but price prohibitive, the Hancooks are tempting, but I'm still a bit scared of not using one of the big name brands, so I'll probably just ignore all the recommendations I asked for and get a pair of Bridgestones like a mindless lemming.........

ps. blah blah keep up with you blah yawn

All the very best,
FB
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hankook are a big brand, ill see if i can dig up the review for you from the states, you'd save yourself a good £200+ going Hankook!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=721768

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...omparison_tests
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatbloke,Jan 5 2011, 04:40 PM
Ideally, I'd like Eagle Asymmetrics, but my unsympathetic driving style and geo set-up favours tyres I can swap side to side half way through their life
Fatbloke, take a close look at the name "Asymmetric"

Like you I thought they were sided and directional but they are not. It sounds weird and I had to double check them when they were off the car but IIRC they have no specific side or rotational markers. I can probably get you pics if you want.

I would say from what you have said you want, these are worth trying before you do the lemming thing.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fatbloke,Jan 4 2011, 10:24 PM
It's mainly the poor wet weather grip.

I know this goes against the popular wisdom, but I can't help but feel the stiff side wall that most people consider a positive just makes them harsh and a bit dead. It just feels like a little bit of deflection might make the car a bit more chuckable. That said, the Bridgestones do feel good when you're holding high(ish) revs on long fast corners........
You might like AD08s. They definitely seem better than the RE050s in the wet, and have softer sidewalls (though not to the Toyo extent). I have a feeling I'm going to miss the Bridgestones come summer.

But unbelievably hopeless in the snow.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks folks. I'm tempted by the Hancooks, but too many of the posts on the US thread qualify positive reviews with 'cheap but good for the money'.

I love Yohohamas, but the AD08's look a bit pricey for the rate I go through tyres.

Not sure where that leaves me.........
Old 01-05-2011, 03:38 PM

I drive my car fairly sprighltly at times and they seem to have at least the grip of the bridgestones, in this weather, far more.

If they arent as good as id like once it gets hot, ill get some Advan AD08's for the summer and keep the Hankooks for the winter, where IMO vs Bridgestone etc... they are fantastic and save my car being smashed into a ball of metal because i had no grip on the AD08's in the cold

The fact they were cheap was only a small part of the reason to buy, i got them because they are good.

Also if you go through tires regularly, why not have a punt on the Hankooks, if they dont work out for you, you wont of spent much on them, and you will soon be able to get some more Bridgestones!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 AM

Fair point. I think I'll give them a shot.

Cheers.......
Old 01-09-2011, 02:34 AM

I've just done 10,000 miles on a set of Kumho 'Ecsta's' I think they are called.
I put them on after a recommendation from a friend in the tyre business after saying I was going around europe & was putting the 16" wheels on for comfort reasons. He said they are the best value for money tyre. I thought, he's a friend, so if he's wrong, I won't pay for the next set!

I have to say I couldn't agree with him more! 10k on rears has been a record for me. I got 6k from the Bridgestones & Vredstein's & onl 4k from the teflon impregnated Falken 452's.

Now before anyone tells me that I'm being silly, I've been a professional driver all my working life. So have some miles under my belt.
The S rarely goes on motorways, I don't like it on a motorway, no cruise control & little torque means it doesn't hold it's speed well.
I don't drive fast all the time, but a few members have followed me out on a run & would be able to testify that I can push a tyre

So, the Kumho's, not the cutting edge when it comes to dry grip, but equal to the Bridgestones when new, but with a softer sidewall a more comfortable drive. Plenty of confidence when pushed, also better when below 3mm of tread depth for lateral grip.
In the wet, far better than the Bridgestone, as good as the Vred's, but again consistant as thead depth gets close to legal.

The front look like they will go at least 5-6,000 miles more. So I'm having my OEM 17" rims shod with the ecsta's next week & give them a try.

Blimey, War & Peace was shorter! Spelt correctly too!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by outtametree,Jan 9 2011, 12:34 PM

Blimey, War & Peace was shorter! Spelt correctly too!
Oooh, so close

"Spelled"...

Quick Reply: The old chestnut again!