UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

One RWD always RWD?

Old 09-30-2004, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One RWD always RWD?

is it possible to get real satisfaction from a front wheel drive car when you've experienced rear wheel drive?

For me I think the answer would be an emphatic no. Had the S2000 been FWD I'd never have even considered it

Anyone else 'hooked' by RWD

There are a number of cars out there that look great and have an appeal but then you realise they are FWD and they get the kybosh from me?

Anyone share my opinion?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:16 AM
GSi

In an ideal world, definately not. But there are far too many FWD cars about to avoid them really I think. For example, if you have to move up to an Estate, what choice do you have for reasonable money? Likewise unless you can afford a premium model of most manufacturers, you're looking at FWD.

I'm still undecided on how best to fund my next drivers car (which will be RWD), so am seriously considering a short term break to a cheaper FWD car to save some more pennies, rather than take a small loan to pay for it.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:22 AM

Some FWD cars can be entertaining. A different style, but entertaining.

I'm not sure I could go back to a closed roof car now.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:22 AM

Agree to a point, have you driven the Mini cooper S? That is one little car to drive. They feel so solid on the road, and the handling is very and just like the S you cant help but smile when driving.

I love the 'rear wheel' drive but its not exactly practical on these cr*p roads we have in the country along with the weather.

For the super hot days it has to be RWD with the back end of your car in a little slide! But for 90% of the days in England (rain, rain and err a bit more rain) FWD holds better, I know I'm not going to end up in a spin at a slight mis-judgement of the pedals!

Even on my MGF with 120bhp I had to drive it very slow in the rain. Get them in the dry at its all
Old 09-30-2004, 12:41 AM

I love RWD. Always have.
And I'm now hooked on the "rag top" also.

Having said that. I am looking forward to having a play in Donna's Civc RType once she's run it in.

They are very nippy.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:22 AM

I love both, But there are good and bad as with all things and a bad front wheel drive car can be horrors to drive in the wet.
We have a pair of REAL Minis, The wifes has a 1275 Copper S works power plant that pushs out around the 120bhp mark. When i drive this i feel more sure of the car than any other car i've ever driven (including the S2000) Roundabouts can be despatched at 50+ wet or dry, a little understeer just adds to the fun, go in hard and early and slip out to the exit brilliant fun.
Eating big cars off the lights is fun too... 0>60 7s
Old 09-30-2004, 02:02 AM

My first RWD was Nissan 200SX, which was good, could be lairy on roundabouts, but set up a bit too soft overall for my liking.

Then went 4WD with Mitsu 3000 GTO, which was awesome, v impressive in every respect, but you rarely felt like you could get the most out of it as everything was just too easy for it!

Then went FWD with Fiat Coupe 20VT - a big big disappointment on the handling front, even if engine, performance, and overall packaging of the car were great.

After that, it was great to get into the S2000, and I really felt that was my first proper sports car, where you have to learn to drive it, and the better you get to know and understand it, the more rewarding it is, even if you can't ultimately dive through roundabouts and corners with the same sure-footedness as the Mitsu with all it's trickery. After the S, I'm most definitely a RWD and ragtop convert

And now onto the TVR, which I think will take quite a while for me to learn and get comfortable with, and will require a lot more caution with the loud pedal in English conditions! Early impressions, it feels even sportier than the S - much lower seating position, firmer ride, much livelier steering, and a scary engine
Old 09-30-2004, 03:32 AM

Alex,
If ever you want to swap back to an S2000 for a week or so, you know just to remember, I'd be happy to exchange with you for a while.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:07 AM

Has to be RWD for me So much fun, yet driven sensibly its just as safe, previous cars were Import Subaru, Import Silvia and a few Import FWD's and the best so far would still have to be the RWD
Old 09-30-2004, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Fletch,Sep 30 2004, 11:32 AM
Alex,
If ever you want to swap back to an S2000 for a week or so, you know just to remember, I'd be happy to exchange with you for a while.
That's just so selfless and generous of you

Quick Reply: One RWD always RWD?