UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Opinions on Buddy Club parts

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Opinions on Buddy Club parts

Hi all, I am a new S2000 owner and have literally picked mine up today

My friend (who is on here) has a modified s2000 and after watching his develop and racing around a track with him, this has what has lead me to buying one

Having just come from a 540hp R33 skyline, I am having trouble working out which are the best part manufacturers for the NA market.

Its weird, because HKS, Greddy, Apexi etc in the world of big power turbo cars all very expensive and generally regarded as the best in class, yet in the S2000 world, they seem to be the cheap end of the market

My mate has J's and Toda parts on his car and I can see the attraction in them, also the Mugen parts are an obvious choice for quality and reliability but they all come with very hefty price tags.

So, I have been looking at buddyclub. It seems that I can buy pretty much every tuning part I am after for the moment (intake, manifold, exhaust, coilovers and carbon goodies) from them at a reasonable price in the UK.

So, just how well regarded and placed are they in the marketplace, and what is the reputation like for the parts within the scene?

Are they a good reliable manufacturer that provide strong consitent gains over the product portfolio, or am I better off spending the extra money and going the mugen, J's and Toda route?

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No matter how much you spend you aint going to get a lot of gains from NA.

If you are looking to track the car then look at weight saving options.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Or go FI.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM

I am not looking for big gains at all, done the big HP thing

I just want to give the car a reasonable improvement in power and responsiveness. My goal is eventually to hit the 200rwhp with excellent handling and that will be more than enough for a fast road car with occasional track use and nurburgring trips
Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM

I should mention that the car is a daily driver, so I am looking to build a fast road setup that can be good enough for occasional track use.

My focus at the start will be simple breathing mods but concentrate on the handling side of things.

Once the handling is sorted, then I will look further into engine tuning (but nothing too crazy)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Mugen intake
Mugen/J's manifold
De-cat
70mm single exit (like my ASM) if you don't mind the aesthetics
Cusco / spoon lower braces
Consider coilovers (KW, Nitron, Bilstein etc)
Consider new anti-roll bars e.g. cusco
Consider new ECU (Mugen, J's, Spoon, AEM)

These would give you some decent gains on a track, although maybe not that much in terms of WHP

HOWEVER, for the price of the above, you can probably get a supercharger / turbocharger. In your position, I'd probably just go for the Mase turbo kit and be done with it

Cue cynics
Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a buddyclub cat back which is well built and sound very nice, but it is loud! The buddyclub mainfold also gets good reports.

See coilover threads for advice on coilovers. Their are one or two people running the BC coilovers. Some people say 10K spring rate are to high others disagree.

With regards to air intakes, How deep are you pockets? If deep, look Mugen, J's,etc. If not so deep - K&N. All of which are good!

As said above, you will not gain much with either of them alone
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Buddy club produce some good parts. I have the QF alloys and the spec IV cat back which is light and well made. Weight savings/cost the exhaust is well worth the outlay. The wheels are the lightest available AFAIK and compare well alongside Mugen/Volk's offerings pricewise.

Another member gave good reports on the carbon bonnet and I believe Jel had the BC coilovers in the UK. I'm not a huge fan of the aerokit/bodykit rear though for the S although it does complement a single exit exhaust...
Old 02-14-2009, 02:50 PM

200whp is totally achieveable.

You definitely need to get an ECU of sorts.

The S runs incredibly rich for N/A - 12.2:1 AFR which is crap.

And as you approach and pass 8000rpm, that ratio plummets!

Taking the AFR upto 13.2 consistently all the way upto the 8900rpm limit will net you good power.

Combine this with a new manifold (Megan do a great manifold for a sub
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I think Ron has summed it up for you their bud.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Opinions on Buddy Club parts