UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Oulton Park Outing

Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Oulton Park Outing

Hi All,
Don't know if you guys would find this interesting to watch or not but i went round Oulton Park few weekends ago and got some tuition from my brother.
Had a little moment too which is in the second video My driving is terrible

Video 1: http://youtu.be/groD-ZJrzMM

Video 2: http://youtu.be/9sN1kXB3BP8

Enjoy
Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 AM

Oh and was going to ask.
I got Toyo Proxi T1R's on at the moment and the grip was awful!
I wanted to put some Michelin superSports on as they are the best tyre out at the moment but cant get them in my 16" wheels..

Any advice?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Have a read of the Forum Favourites for Tyre recommendations: https://www.s2ki.com/...brakes-tct-etc/

I have the Bridgestone RE002s which work very nicely on track.

Your driving is far from terrible. Nice hand position on the wheel and generally pretty smooth. Nice to see someone not trying to snap the gearlever off with every change too.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Have a read of the Forum Favourites for Tyre recommendations: https://www.s2ki.com/...brakes-tct-etc/

I have the Bridgestone RE002s which work very nicely on track.

Your driving is far from terrible. Nice hand position on the wheel and generally pretty smooth. Nice to see someone not trying to snap the gearlever off with every change too.
I've seen some peoples gear shifting... ripping the gearstick off will not make you change gear quicker
Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 AM
UK Moderator

Here's me from a couple of years ago for a comparison, if it's any use:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrkPqyptTUI[/media]
Old 11-24-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you have got good grip with those tyres imo.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 AM

it looks like i do but when i try and push it starts breaking away and pushes on, understeer is bad :/

My brother took it out with me and wasnt very impressed, expected better, after looking at state of tyres after the day it was clear these are good enough for that kind of driving.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by johnckeen
it looks like i do but when i try and push it starts breaking away and pushes on, understeer is bad :/

My brother took it out with me and wasnt very impressed, expected better, after looking at state of tyres after the day it was clear these are good enough for that kind of driving.
You can significantly change the handling by messing about with the geometry. Lots of people like the Toyos, so they can't be that bad.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also pressure.

I just bought a small pressure gauge for this purpose. Even though the S oversteers quite often under torque (not that much wihtout applying torque to the wheels) first time I drove it spiritely I felt quite a lot of understeer.
I fully recommend get 225 instead of 215 on the front. Doesn´t make a big difference for normal driving. Then in track, you can play with the pressure of the tyres and balance the grip to oversteer or understeer more subject to personal preferences and driving style.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:26 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by mantecosa
also pressure.

I just bought a small pressure gauge for this purpose. Even though the S oversteers quite often under torque (not that much wihtout applying torque to the wheels) first time I drove it spiritely I felt quite a lot of understeer.
I fully recommend get 225 instead of 215 on the front. Doesn´t make a big difference for normal driving. Then in track, you can play with the pressure of the tyres and balance the grip to oversteer or understeer more subject to personal preferences and driving style.
John has 16" wheels which are 205 section on the front.

Learning to trail brake into the corners (as john's brother was trying to get him to do) is a very good idea, and having tried many different geometry settings, I can confirm you can get the balance of the car how you want it.

Having said that, for most of us, a bit of understeer is a good thing, especially when on the road, which is the majority of the time.

Quick Reply: Oulton Park Outing