UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Our road trip to Monsoon

Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our road trip to Monsoon

Well just got back from the mainland to Jersey after having our new roof fiited.

We spent a week in the UK in all, won't bore you with the details of the holiday, but do need advice on a problem.

The day before the hood was due to be fitted, we were driving from Southampton to a Hotel near to Monsoon, on the dual carriageway doing around 60mph. Hear a clincky noise and thought nothing of it, luckily a friend of ours is driving behind us as they have come away for the trip also. He radio's me on the CB saying there is smoke coming from our car. We pull over straight away. After a quick inspection, we realise oil is pouring from our sump. Since we didn't hit anything, we quickly realise the sump plug bolt has come off. The car had been serviced a few days before at the local Honda Dealership. Basically we needed to get this sorted ASAP, as the roof is due to be fitted the day after. Coming from Jersey, we don't really need breakdown cover, as home is never far away. So we had to join the AA and then upgrade as we need to get the car towed 41 miles to Monsoon, as the AA driver doesn't have the part our the oil to get us on our way. After 4 hours, we eventually get the tow truck to take us. Oil all over the cars shiny new white paint work, all over the underside of the car (including the shiny new Blue Flame exhaust). We get the Car to Monsoon at 1am eventually.

Tony and the Monsoon guys were great the next day. Called their local Honda dealership and took us to get the part. The mechanic behind their workshop, fitted it and sorted the oil. So, when we picked the car up, everything was ready to go. Fantastic people, so helpful. The hood looks and fits superbly.

My question is, what do I say to my Honda Dealership on Monday? What should I demand? We are going to call the AA monday to cancel our membership, as we just don't need it. Once they refund part of the money back to us, should I get Honda to foot the bill? I have the reciept for the oil and part for them too. But what about the hassle of 4 and a half hours in the pitch black, freezing my ass off! The car is still caked in oil also.

To add to my anger, their service bill was waiting for me when I got back, £650, they fitted all new calipers for me (that I supplied) and fitted new rear discs and pads.

The rest of the holiday was good though!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

There was still oil coming out of the sump after you stopped? Did you get the oil warning light on the dashboard before stopping? At the least I would expect the Dealership to do a cursory free inspection to check no damage has been done through lack of oil.

I would also expect them to steamclean the underside of the car as well.

I think i'd also expect them to cover the cost of a new sump bolt, the oil and a free service next time and pay more attention to the job.

Or they could just refund you half of the bill.

The amount of damage that could have been caused ..... i think you've been very lucky and even more lucky that someone was following you who warned you of the problem, even more lucky that nothing caught fire!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 AM

Yeah, the oil was just draining out when we stopped. Left about 2 litres on the road side. No oil warning light as we stopped really quickly in a bus stop. Never saw a bus though, luckily! The engine was stopped straight away and not turned over again until oil was put in and the sump bolt put on. It could have been a seriously buggered engine.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:23 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I think it's fair they cover the cost of the sump bolt, the oil and clean up the mess under the car - a nice 4 piece mat set to smooth an unhappy customer over would be nice?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky escape
I expect the dealer will try to wriggle out of this one.
The same thing has happened in the past
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I just can't believe that its such a school boy error.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Tell them you pay nothing or you will SUE that was pure negligence!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
PHo

absolute crap...you'd like to think they'd help you out but i wouldn't hold your breath... good luck and a set of mats and a nice wash n wax would be nice! (especially after getting ur ride stinkin)
Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats really rubbish!

Get them to pay for a full inspection, underbody clean and a free service

Do you have any pics of the new roof?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Yet people still maintain a 'fully stamped' s2000 is of a higher value, scandalous negligence on the part of HONDA.

Quick Reply: Our road trip to Monsoon