UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Paint damage

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint damage

I know this should probably be in a different forum but I would like the experts out there to shed some light on this, and how to repair this problem?

A little background, I touched up a chip to my driver’s door, after which I cleaned up and left to dry. Trying to be cute, I used Megs scratch X2.0 to gently lower the raised area of paint. (I spent maybe 20 mins carefully going over the offending area, which reduced the overall 'lump' of the excess paint). However after checking it the following day I found this problem

I apologise for my the less than accurate pictures but is tricky to best show this problem on MY09 BB paint, If those of you out there cannot see it well enough to identify the problem, close up it appears that the paint has faded, and there is a circle around the area that appears as if the clear coat has lifted of the paint although I find this hard to believe for the amount of megs I used!! Is this, the dreaded ‘marring’ and if so how do I rectify it?

Bloody gutted TBH! as those out there in S land know how fastidious I am about my paint work!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Really isn't easy to see, especially on the second pic, but I take it you won't be trying that again

Seriously though I do feel for you, I hope some genius will some up with a good and clever fix.

Ifyou want to see crap paint work you ought to see my 08 plate - I just clocked up 5K and the paint work drives me bonkers each time I see it. The last owner seriously didn't know what a soft cloth was I think. I'm currently trying to save the money to have it detailed (especially before Silverstone classics and rocking).

Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks like micromarring left over from the megs - does it have a sort of dull hazy finish to it that changes depending which way the light falls on it?

I hope you didn't 'fingerf**k' the paint with the cloth - better photos would be nice though
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM

Give it a machine polish with a lightcutting polish like Menzerna or Megs and then a few coats of wax and it'll look a lot better. I've noticed mine has a spot or two of this on it and being a berlina it does stand out unless you attend to it..
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Its nothing mate, i had loads on mine until i became an OCD /(which you need to become if you have a BB).
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Like this? Occurred when Tango was rounding off a scratch, paint depth was decent enough. No transfer of paint. Dealer could not explain it, got fixed under warranty.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks for you're input guys as I first assumed, the initial pictures where indeed useless tbh, so I've done some more...maybe this will explain the issue slightly better??

Answers on a postcard to WTF have I done, c/o idiot street, PO box numpty land
Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Oh dear, you muppet! I'm sure Lee will be along soon to suitably chastise and advise you.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by dinibird,May 28 2010, 01:46 PM
Oh dear, you muppet! I'm sure Lee will be along soon to suitably chastise and advise you.
Oh thanks Dini he's been on the blower a while back, still I'm not sure how this has happened!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Xd

Originally Posted by Guiness002,May 28 2010, 08:17 PM
Im afraid it looks like strike through as happened with Sin_Chases car

Here's an example pulled off Detailing worlds excellent tutorial

As discussed I will send you some super fine polish compound in case it is just micro marring but I feel is might need a little more work.

Quick Reply: Paint damage