UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Painted my calipers today

Old 07-28-2001, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted my calipers today

Well, after seeing so many nicely painted calipers I decided to take the plunge.
I chose to paint mine in black as i have the black / black combination and thought this would look best.

A quick trip to Halfords to get a tin of smooth Hammerite a small hobby brush and a tub of solvent degreaser.

I brushed off the loose debris with a hard stubby brush then cleaned with solvent degreaser on a rag.
The paint was easy to apply (I put on 2 coats).
A good tip is to leave the brush in the solvent degreaser in between each wheel as the Hammerite goes off quite quickly.

From start to finish the job took me 3 hours and I was very careful to do a tidy job.
Total cost was just under a tenner.

The difference is very noticeable, it makes the wheels look much better.
If you have been thinking of doing this mod but never bothered to do it, give it a go, it's simple and the results are well worth the effort.

Thanks to Cedric for the tips
Old 07-28-2001, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy... Two coats .. I'm impressed I'd imagine you were glad when you finished. Bet they look great.

After I left you the other day I had to anchor up for two deer that ran across the road one after the other
Old 07-28-2001, 10:09 AM

Andy,

I'm very impressed ! Can you post me a pic ?
I imagine black looking great !

Ive been wanting to try this for a while now, but thought I'd have to take the wheels off to do it.

jonathan.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:23 AM

LOL ..Jonathan. You do really need to take the wheels off.. one at a time. Is there a problem with that!!
Old 07-28-2001, 10:45 AM

LOL... i thought so... its just that I dont have the room to do it in front of my house.
It possible, but its a tight squeeze between me and my neighbours car.

I really need a garage to be able to work on these mods.

3hours though ? man thats quick, jacking up, taking off the wheel, brushing, degreasing, drying, 2 coats of hamerite, drying, wheel back on, jack up next wheel... it would take me at least 4!

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
LOL ..Jonathan. You do really need to take the wheels off.. one at a time. Is there a problem with that!!
Old 07-28-2001, 11:24 AM

So come and do it at my place if you want, there's plenty of room.

Actually I thought Andy was pretty quick there myself. Particularly with 2 coats
Old 07-28-2001, 12:02 PM

Yes, the wheels have to come off but one at a time is pretty easy to do. Just ensure that you use axle stands or a second jack, just in case the first fails.
I will never forget sitting next to my dad (when I was about 8...a long time ago) when he was working on his car (an old Standard Ensign). He had just left to go for a wee when the jacking (and chocking) failed, it all fell in a loud clang. I shudder to think if he was underneath at the time what would have happened (and he was an experienced engineer, so be careful).

You have to bear in mind the amazing heat today, as I put the first coat on, it was touch dry in about 3 minutes, the second coat went straight on.

The front calipers get quite dusty but the back ones were easy to clean .

As D.I.Y. jobs go, this is very easy indeed. Just ensure the necessary tools are available beforehand and the wife is at hand to keep making cups of tea

Jonathan, I cannot get any pictures until next weekend at the earliest as I have to borrow the works digi camera.
You are welcome to come round and see em for yourself or use my drive........its very big.......and I even have loads of paint left

I'm dying to show off my excellent new dead pedal also

The black looks good, even though I say so myself
Old 07-29-2001, 12:55 AM

Andy, it certainly was hot yesterday !!! Dead pedal too ? Great !

Tonky / Andy, I just might take you up on that offer of using your drives guys

(Is it wise to put on some copper slip while the wheels are off. ? )

jonathan
Old 07-29-2001, 02:16 AM

Jonathan,

I put my stud caps on without copper slip.
As the car is new I see no reason for using copper slip as the threads are in good condition.
There is always the worry of stud caps coming loose which would play on my mind a bit.
We tend to use copper slip at work on some critical fasteners which are exposed to heat, but the bolts go into yield so they become very difficult to remove over time.

I would recommend fitting them as you find em.....dry.

Just been out for a short spin......those calipers do look very nice indeed.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:07 PM

Ok guys,

Heres a link to some pics of AnDy's calipers.... its a really good job AnDy.. The black really does look good with the Black car and Silver wheels.

Heres a link to the album:

AnDy's Caliper Photos

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Painted my calipers today