UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Painting calipers

Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

So many opinions on the internets, so many wrong people ! SILVER is the best colour for stopping power and looks - fact !

As above the trick is to prep well, I used some Bilt Hamber auto-wheel to get the layers of baked on dust and grime off. You could probably get a reasonable look without taking the calipers off but it would make the cleaning easier if you did ( keep the brake lines attached but careful not to stretch or kink)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted mine, i did not doo the backs just made a finish area line were you could just get your paint brush to did not want to take off callipers has I new it would be a mine field.
it took several coats in yellow and was a pain with a small artist brush I tried the Halfords paint to start with but was like proper see through like water
so went on to yellow hamerite smooth with a touch of red hamerite smooth to give a bit better colour shade but you have to wait ages to reapply
I could only do one wheel at a time in garage with lack of space what a pain plus they are not a very nice shape not like the hi speck ones that are a smooth billet of metal and are sprayed painted should have painted them black but hey ho thanks john
Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd recommend Foliatec Caliper Paint. It's made for the job, is a proper 2-part resin-like paint and lasts a long while. Flattens to a nice smooth finish too. If you're taking your time and want it to look good, it's worth grinding/sanding off the casting marks from the manufacture of the caliper too.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I found it easier to remove them and get to work with them in a clamp, but that's because I'm heavy handed and would knacker the rubber boots and everything else with the wire brush.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes but watts it entail removing them
clamping hose etc and bleeding brakes when refitting
I have herd its a night mare to bleed etc thanks john
Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

That's why you do it all at once: paint callipers, change pads and/or discs, bleed brakes, change lines etc.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Thinking of doing mine this weekend - going black!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been planning on doing this myself. All my calipers are fairly new (I think the oldest one is about 5 years now) so now would be a good time really. I'd be tempted to go yellow
Personally, I'd take the calipers off and do a proper job, regardless of what is seen.

I can't comment on bleeding all the brakes, but I did my rear pads the other weekend, and noticed the O/S Rear Caliper was seizing, so ordered up a replacement caliper and replaced it in a couple of hours. Wasn't difficult at all (and I'm what I would consider a novice).
Only bleed that brake, and all seems to be ok....Very easy tbh - hardest part was getting some of the bolts off due to rust etc.

Chock the front wheels, jack and support the car and take the handbrake off - careful as the car may move a bit. Slow!
Buy a brake hose clamp, clamp the hose as close to the caliper as you can, unbolt everything (you'll lose a little fluid when you remove the hose, and the shielding around the handbrake cable should be taken off BEFORE removing the caliper, otherwise its a right PITA. basically, do the slider pin bolts last), put the new caliper on, take the lid off the brake reservoir, top up, stick a tube on the bleed nipple, crack open, get Mrs to pump pedal down, close nipple, get Mrs to lift Pedal, top up fluid.
Do this until fluid has no bubbles or bits in, then gave it a final pump with the nipple closed. Top up the fluid, put the lid on try turning the wheel with the pedal down. Give it a road test - Slowly then find somewhere to test the brakes.

If removing all of them, then I'd imagine its the same process, but in the order specified by the manual (furthest caliper from the reservoir first I believe - aka, NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF)

If I'm totally wrong though, please someone correct me as I'd rather not give crappy info, especially where safety is concerned
Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I think I'll redo mine, they are red ATM, I'm going to go for black so I will never have to clean them again, and black might radiate heat better.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

ChrisFix should have a youtube video on how to paint brake calipers.

Quick Reply: Painting calipers